First time sweating copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Fabricator

Reaction score
i cannot debate, either way, what is better. so, with all due respect, i will leave well enough alone. if i had never done this job, that would be in there, doing what it does. and seeing as how its code, right or wrong, its code.

illinois, ESPECIALLY C(R)OOK county, is a political shithole. :(:mad:

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
When I repiped my mothers home I made sure each fixture had air chambers. I think about once every 7 to 8 years I have to drain down the system to clear the air chambers of water. I think it is much easer to drain a system than have to reopen a wall to replace a failed mechanical arrestors.

I wouldnt put arrestors behind a wall. I dont think its code or not here, but it makes things a lot easier to have access to them(kind of like a junction box). Usually fast closing/opening fixtures have some kind of accessible area to them, so its kind of a moot point.

Putting arrestors behind a shower is excessive.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When I repiped my mothers home I made sure each fixture had air chambers. I think about once every 7 to 8 years I have to drain down the system to clear the air chambers of water. I think it is much easer to drain a system than have to reopen a wall to replace a failed mechanical arrestors.

I think you're fooling yourself...the pipes fill up with water much faster than once in 7-years.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I think you're fooling yourself...the pipes fill up with water much faster than once in 7-years.

Nope not fooling myself one bit. Around 7 years she starts to get water hammer from her washing machine. I shut of the water to the house, drain down the system. Turn the water back on and all is good for another 7 years.

do you have any experience with a kerdi drain ?

Sorry I never had direct experience with them. I seen them installed on many shower systems I had to power rod the drains on. But please feel to ask any questions about them. If I do not know the answer, I can find a buddy that does.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
ok, guys. thanx for the additional tips.

the job is done. i had no real problems. and no leaks so far, still have to plug at the top and make sure the after valve doesn't leak. i ran it, works fine.

i did take the cartridges out. the coins are my lifes savings ;)

those shocks are what was in there. had no problems with em.
i measured a lot. while i don't claim that it is perfect, i think it will be just fine.
why can't i use a red torch :confused:

i plumber friend i used to have, gave me the solder and flux. 12ish years ago.
its still nearly full.

this was actually pretty easy.

It looks good. Job well done. And thank you for posting pictures.

Fabricator

Reaction score
Nope not fooling myself one bit. Around 7 years she starts to get water hammer from her washing machine. I shut of the water to the house, drain down the system. Turn the water back on and all is good for another 7 years.

Sorry I never had direct experience with them. I seen them installed on many shower systems I had to power rod the drains on. But please feel to ask any questions about them. If I do not know the answer, I can find a buddy that does.

my place is 13 years old, and no water hammer. they they must be doing something.

the kirdi drain is pvc. and, as you know, i have CI pipe. at the top of this pipe, is a rubber seal. i think you guys call it a donut. i have to joint the drain with the donut. i have a piece of pvc that fits it tightly. i am wondering if there are any issues with this interaction ? i don't think so, but thought i would ask.

Fabricator

Reaction score
ya know what guys. i know your not drywall hangers. but perhaps you have some tips on getting the drywall holes for those 3 protrusions placed correctly ?

thanx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks