First time sweating copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Fabricator

Reaction score
hello, gents. thanx for the quality forum :cool:

i am going to install, hopefully, my new shower valve today. it is a MOEN 3330.

1, i plan to use all the old copper. is this an issue ? i will, of course, clean it very well.
2, are the items in my pic good to use ? which solder ?
3, are there any issues soldering copper to brass ?
4, anything helpfull tips ?

i did watch many youtube vids, and it looks pretty easy.

tia

Attachments

• IMG_0767.JPG
    IMG_0767.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 422

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The No Lead solder is the way to go. Looks like you have what you need except the emery cloth to clean the pipe and fittings, or a fitting brush.

Attachments

• fittingbrush.jpg
    fittingbrush.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 440

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Use the no lead solder. Can't see what type the other solder is. Also can't read the paste. It should be plumbing type, listed for lead free solder.

Apply the heat mostly to the brass piece, which presumably is heavier.
Get done in as short a time as possible, probably not exceeding a minute.

If you hold the torch too far back you will just take too long and burn away the flux before the metal will take the solder.

Fabricator

Reaction score
thanx guys.

i have a brush. just forgot to get it out of the garage.

the other solder is "savbit". i have no clue what its made for.

i am reading threads now. i am going to wrap the valve in a wet rag. and i am going to open the 2 valves. i DON'T want any leaks. i am also going to cap the ends, and turn the water on for days, to check for leaks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This isn't exactly the easiest job for an inexperienced DIYer...

Prepare yourself for possible problems that may keep you from being able to turn the water back on and placing an emergency call for a plumber on Sunday...

Pick up 2 Sharkbite end caps 1/2" in size....

If you end up having leaks you can just cut and cap the 1/2" copper supplying the valve and make it a non-emergency call at yours and the plumbers convenience...

Just having them around will ensure the job goes off correctly... :D

You can then use them as test caps on the tub spout and shower...
They are removable and reusable...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I remove the cartridge while soldering and reinstall it after the valve has cooled.

I'm still trying to figure out what the coins are for.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Shower Valve

If those pipes you have in the back are home made anti-shocks get rid of them and get a real shock absorber, the home made ones are close to useless.

Make sure you get the measurment for the valve EXACT, you don't want to tear it out if its not where it should be,

BTW you can't use a red tourch on this install,LOL :)

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
How old is that flux? I don't remember seeing "brush-in-cap" for years.

Don't take the torch off the bottle indoors - unscrew it outside in case the seal lets go. It's rare, but it happens. I never leave the torch on the bottle when it's not in use.

Fabricator

Reaction score
ok, guys. thanx for the additional tips.

the job is done. i had no real problems. and no leaks so far, still have to plug at the top and make sure the after valve doesn't leak. i ran it, works fine.

i did take the cartridges out. the coins are my lifes savings ;)

those shocks are what was in there. had no problems with em.
i measured a lot. while i don't claim that it is perfect, i think it will be just fine.
why can't i use a red torch :confused:

i plumber friend i used to have, gave me the solder and flux. 12ish years ago.
its still nearly full.

this was actually pretty easy.

Attachments

• IMG_0771.JPG
    IMG_0771.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 389

TedL

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just the angle, but the valve looks like it might be set too far into the wall. Did you double and tripe check the relationship to the finished wall?

Fabricator

Reaction score
Perhaps it's just the angle, but the valve looks like it might be set too far into the wall. Did you double and tripe check the relationship to the finished wall?

it is the angle. it is out about 1" from the studs, and it can be moved either way a little. 1/2 drywall, kerdi, tile, should be a little under 1".

Fabricator

Reaction score
thanx , Red. i don't have a problem with hammer. what would those fix ? would a "big box" have them ?

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
Those fake arrestors can actually contaminate your water. If the chamber fills with water(going one way) and then suddenly is sucked out from the demand of the shower, it goes the other way, ripping off the deposits on the inside of the copper and sending them out of the shower head.

Same thing happens if the city tries to clear a water main by sending water backwards through the main under the street. It does clean it, but all of the deposits come off the pipe and water needs to be boiled/filtered if it is to be potable for the next few days after.

The easy way would to be just cut most of the extra pipe on and leave about 3/4" of a stub and solder a copper cap on. Another choice would be to take off the Tee and just put an ell in its place...

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Fabricator:...."why can't i use a red torch"....That was a joke, you seen the LOL on the end, didn"t you?. :)

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I do not know what you all have agains air chambers. This is right out of the Illinois Plumbing Code book.

Air Chambers − Air chamber installed in a fixture supply, it shall be at least 12 inches in length and the same diameter as the fixture supply. An air chamber with a volume equivalent to one with the dimension listed above may also be used. Where an air chamber is installed in a riser, it shall be at least 24 inches in length and at least the same size as the riser.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I do not know what you all have agains air chambers. This is right out of the Illinois Plumbing Code book.

Air Chambers − Air chamber installed in a fixture supply, it shall be at least 12 inches in length and the same diameter as the fixture supply. An air chamber with a volume equivalent to one with the dimension listed above may also be used. Where an air chamber is installed in a riser, it shall be at least 24 inches in length and at least the same size as the riser.

Apparently They only still work in Illinois...
Everyone else has figured out they don't work and has switched over to hammer arrestors...

attachment.php

If you go and cut the end cap off on you will see a nice patina all the way onto the cap.
They rapidly fill with water and are ineffective.

Last edited:

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Apparently They only still work in Illinois...
Everyone else has figured out they don't work and has switched over to hammer arrestors...

attachment.php

If you go and cut the end cap off on you will see a nice patina all the way onto the cap.
They rapidly fill with water and are ineffective.

When I repiped my mothers home I made sure each fixture had air chambers. I think about once every 7 to 8 years I have to drain down the system to clear the air chambers of water. I think it is much easer to drain a system than have to reopen a wall to replace a failed mechanical arrestors.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks