Shower Drain Question (Pictures!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wescotthouse

Reaction score
I have a 50 year old ranch with hollow-core concrete slab subfloors. One of the previous owners converted a 2 feet deep master bathroom closet into a shower. I tore it out to put in an adequate size shower.

The original shower drain had an S-trap. I want to put in a P-trap but that's where my problem begins.

I think the previous owner did that because directly below the drain hole is where the ducts are. By putting in the S-trap inside the hollow-core, the previous owner was able to have the pipe come out of the basement ceiling and miss the ducts.

If I put the drain riser vertically through the hole where the original S-trap exited, the drain hole would be on the shower curb.

So my question is, how do I install the drain line?

I was thinking of maybe having the riser where the original shower drain was, adding an 90 degree ell to it, run a short (10 inches) horizontal line, add a 90 degree ell so I could have a vertical pipe come out of where the original S-trap exited, and finally add the P-trap. Sort of like the waste arm you would use for a dual kitchen sink waste lines.

According to this poster http://www.askme********.com/plumbing/modifying-drain-line-reach-new-shower-240542.html#post1167361 , he says I can't do it. So what can I do?

Attachments

• img_4578.jpg
    img_4578.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 500
  • img_4579.jpg
    img_4579.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,057
  • img_4572.jpg
    img_4572.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 510
  • img_4575.jpg
    img_4575.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
come through the floor directly into a p-trap, then you should have a vent, then run to the stack. Keep in mind that the trap is what keeps sewer gasses and moldering crud that accumulates in the pipe (which will happen in the horizontal sections.

Wescotthouse

Reaction score
come through the floor directly into a p-trap, then you should have a vent, then run to the stack. Keep in mind that the trap is what keeps sewer gasses and moldering crud that accumulates in the pipe (which will happen in the horizontal sections.

i can't come down directly because the ductwork is in the way. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks