(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: full tub leaks downstairs

Default full tub leaks downstairs

My wife and I just moved into a 1974 house. She has used the tub upstairs for baths (and I've taken showers) a few times with no problems, but she filled it really high this time to get a good soak. I was downstairs and thought I heard water -- and sure enough if was dripping down into the family room.

I've been reading the forum and have ideas about where the leak points could be, but where should I look first? I don't want to rip apart more than I need to.

Thanks,
    Eric
    ejmiller67@charter.net

Sounds lile a leak at the overflow plate at the back of the tub. If you remove the cover, there is a gasket on the backside of the tub. Pull that out through the hole and replace it.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Sometimes the gasket for the overflow is not tight or has dried out. First place I'd look is the overflow. You can usually see at least part of it when you remove the cover. To do much else, you need an access panel. My unprofessional opinion.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thank you for the quick replies. I'll take a look at the overflow. If necessary, it does look like I have an access panel.