Piping for water supply

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Hi

I have 2 bathrooms the main one in the 1st floor and a 2nd in the basement.
I am trying to figure out how to run my supply lines.

I have a 3/4" water main coming in the house and 3/4" out from the water meter.

CURRENT configureation: From the water meter, it runs and then T off to a 1/2" pipe and the 1st T branch off the 1/2" pipe is to the main bathroom vanity sink, then it continues and T branch off to the entire basement bathroom (2nd bathroom), continues and T branch to the main bathroom toilet and then ends at main bathroom tub.

I never used the basement bathroom because it was a nasty bathroom. But now it is demolished. I never knew how the water pressure were if both bathrooms were running at the same time.

My question is by running it this way, would i have substantial lowered water pressure if I was to use the showers in both the bathrooms at the same time? Or If someones flushes in the basement would it affect someone showering in the main bathroom? Would i need to tap off the 3/4" pipe for the basement bathroom? If I can I would like to avoid doing that and using the current pipe runs, but if its' going to cause me trouble in the future, I will tap off (I am assuming) the 3/4" pipe from the water meter, to the basement bathroom.

I am also wondering about my hot water, its' run in a similar way - but obviously without going to the toilet and it originates from the water heater.

Thanks

Water Pipe Sizing

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, you want 3/4" to the bathroom, then reduce to 1/2" to each fixture. If you are planning a large soaking tub or a multi-head shower, running 3/4" all the way there rather than dropping to 1/2" is a good idea, but the control valves are more expensive (but can flow as much as twice as much water). Most applications can get away with a 1/2" valve, but you still often want 3/4" coming into the area.

samlin7

Reaction score
From the Hot water heater, there is a 3/4" pipe that latter got reduced to a 1/2" pipe, could i reverse it back to a 3/4" or do i need to take out the 1/2" portion and run the 3/4 to the bathroom?

Thanks

Jastori

Reaction score
If you are trying to address water pressure issues, you need to keep it 3/4" for the whole run (from main entering house to hot water heater to bathroom group. You should generally only reduce to 1/2" to serve a single fixture (i.e. one sink, not the whole bathroom).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks