(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receptacles

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

Default Receptacles

I am slowly semi-finishing my basement. It will be one big open space. The process will involve putting up steel studs around the perimeter (almost done), install basic electrics, drywall, lighting, a drop ceiling and flooring in that order.

My framing is up and I am about to install receptacles on new circuits (AFCI, I think for this), 12 inches off the floor and no more than 12 feet apart. Would putting them at 6 feet apart around the perimeter be overkill or sensible?
    Last edited by Ian Gills; 07-08-2009 at 03:32 PM.

I don't think that is overkill on a "multipurpose room" where the demand to plug in little chatzkies might be great. But if "heavy" uses such as microwave or mini frig, large computer or entertainment center, etc etc. were contemplated, you might want to have more than one circuit in there. Not a big extra expense at this point.

Thanks Jimbo and I will do that.

Once the circuits are in (I have room in my panel) I will also have my panel professionally upgraded from a 100 amp service to a 200 amp service.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I do not know what code says about spacing on recepticles, but 8' may be too far apart! I thought it was closer than that now...double-check. I know a kitchen is a special case, but I thought other rooms were updated as well.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

No, it's still 12' apart and 6' from an opening.

It is rare that I personally go that far apart though.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

Basement I like mine further off the floor
    Heck I'd like all of mine 2' off the ground as I get older

My basement is damp
    So right now most of mine are attached to the ceiling joists
    I do have one in the utility room about 3' off the ground
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

I am hoping that having a ring of receptacles 12 inches off of the floor will help keep the basement dry and avoid the need for a sump pump.

As the water rises and shorts each one, heat will evaoporate the rain water.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Think of it this way, the cord on many lamps is often barely 5' or so. This may put it out of range of an outlet if spaced at the maximum allowable. Plus, in today's heavy electronic use, it's much nicer to have enough available without having to use extension cords, or compromise your layout options.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks. I may go for six feet apart then.

I'd go 6' apart. I'd also go 16-18" off the floor. While there is no code as to how high off the floor to place the receptacles, a trick I was taught was to place your hammer against the stud, then put the box in and rest it on top of the head. That sets your height. An standard claw hammer should put you right at about 16".
    I consider myself an accomplished DIY'er. I don't know everything but help where I can. I'm not a pro, but like to think I'm professional.

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

I also agree with going a bit higher. While it may sound excessive I would go every 4 ft and a circuit per wall or per 2 walls. I did similar in my living room and love it, so does the wife. There is ALWAYS an outlet available for a fan or laptop or cell charger or....
    tjbaudio
    I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell. I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work. My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading. Dyslexics of the world untie!

www.incertclevername.com

Licensed Electrical Contractor Speedy Petey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tjbaudio View Post
    While it may sound excessive I would go every 4 ft and a circuit per wall or per 2 walls.
    Yup, sounds excessive.
    I bet you ran out of panel space real quick.
    Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC. If you're on the '14 already I feel sorry for you.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

One other thing to consider is placement of major equipment when you are running new circuits. Don't know how "crazy" your entertainment area is planned out to be but if you can, dedicate a circuit to the wall where your TV/Stereo/Theater is planned and maybe another dedicated circuit if you plan on having a wet bar that may have a microwave/blender it could be benificial.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Thanks guys. These are all very useful tips, as usual.

Sound and Light Suppervisor for a School District tjbaudio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
    Yup, sounds excessive.
    I bet you ran out of panel space real quick.
    Why? I put in a 200A panel with the max allowed spaces (42 I think.) Also an extra outlet or 2 per wall does not mean I needed an extra breaker for it. I have NO 1/2 space breakers and I have 1/2 my panel available yet.
    tjbaudio
    I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell. I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work. My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading. Dyslexics of the world untie!

www.incertclevername.com