(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Astronomers Uncover Audio of 1969 Soviet Attempt to Beat U.S. to the Moon

Hybrid View

Default Astronomers Uncover Audio of 1969 Soviet Attempt to Beat U.S. to the Moon

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...npu=1&mbid=yhp

Check out the recording to listen to.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

That US lunar module does not appear to be to code. It wouldn't pass mustard in Maryland. I can't see a handrail on the stairs for starters and the distinct lack of a main stack looks suspect. All those B-vents sloping down has got to be a no-no. What part of the Uniform Plumbing Code did they not understand? Or is this on a well?

Just because you're rushing to get to the moon does not mean you can cut corners, and they clearly have been cut here. Don't get me started on those trip hazards.

Any time you see someone wearing a suit to breathe, you can count your bottom dollar you are going to find violations.

As Kennedy put it, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win but it won't be code compliant, sorry. No-one really follows the codes anyway and we don't really need them round here. etc. etc. "

While the British attempt was a little late (i.e. never) we at least got the AHJ Inspector in.

Last edited by Ian Gills; 07-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Thats pretty funny.
    I was in Spokane, Washington when they walked on the moon.

I wasn't born then. There are only two events in my lifetime when I know exactly where I was.

Bruges in 1997 when I found out Princess Diana had died

Malawi on September 11 2001 listening on the radio. We didn't have TV there. I thought at first it was a very good radio drama. Then I thought the pilot had messed up. Then I thought air traffic control had messed up...

Extreme DIY Homeowner Scuba_Dave's Avatar

I have the LIFE magazine stashed away
    July 25th, 1969

Sept 11th I was roofing my last house
    When the Challenger blew up I was working at a convienent store
    Princess Diana I do not remember where I was - American in me
    Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 07-08-2009 at 06:10 PM.
    DIY Handyman (not 4 hire)
    I have enough to do to my own house

Again, the threshold for that door looks a little high. Poor workmanship. Neil could have been injured from a trip before he'd even launched.

Glad to see they remembered the handrail at the Earth end of the trip though.

But a fantastic keepsake.

I was about 9 and I watched the tv with utter fascination. I remember my mother saying, " no way, they are in the desert." She never believed for a moment they were really walking on the moon.

I was at home when Princess Diana died, it was all over the tv and it was so sad. She was a beautiful lady and we were married on the same day, the same year, and both our sons, are pretty much the same age.

September 11th I was at work, and it was total confusion. When I first saw the tv at work with the planes I wasn't sure what I was looking at, I think, the mind cannot accept certain things right away. I just kept working.

I was in school, 3 or 4th grade I think, when President Kennedy was shot.
    The principal came over the loud speaker and the teacher started crying.
    Last edited by Cookie; 07-08-2009 at 10:12 PM.

My first historical date I remember was Nov. 22 1963.

I was sitting in school and a teacher came running in the class room and wispered something to the my teacher...then the teacher started crying a little and then composed her self...they rolled in a TV and turned on the coverage of the assanation of John F. Kennedy. We sat and watched until the buses came and brought us home.

#2 was the first step on the moon...

#3 was the twin towers...9/11...I was at a friends house working on a tankless heater which was eventualy removed and a tank heater installed...We were watching live as the second plane hit and we were confused...we thought it was a play back of the first plane hitting the building...
    Last edited by Cass; 07-08-2009 at 07:22 PM.