Air Injector Maintenance

Users who are viewing this thread

joejvj

Reaction score
Do air injectors require maintenance? We get a lot of sediment in the water from time to time and I am wondering if the venturi nozzle gets clogged after a while. And what would be symptoms of a clogged/bad air injector?

Below is a photo of the one installed on my system. Can anyone identify this brand? It looks like cleaning would require removing the bolts holding it together.

airinjector.jpg

Speedbump

Reaction score
Do you know how much that little unit restricts your water flow from your pump? An air pump works far better, does not restrict flow and puts air into the water all the way through the pump cycle. Not just during a very small portion of the cycle.

If this thing were to completely plug up, it could burn up your pump in just a few minutes.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I sell them, but they aren't cheap. The nice thing is, we have sold hundreds of them and never burned up a pump.
You would have to call me to purchase one, I don't have them on the Website.

Gary3750

Reaction score
Speedbump-Do you have a picture of this air pump system and will it work on a submersible pump? Can you explain a little more on how it works?

Speedbump

Reaction score
The air pump is a small air compressor. It can build 100 psi and can start under a load (under pressure). It is made by Thomas and is the highest quality of the two available pumps I am aware of. The Gast pump didn't give us the service that the Thomas does.

I'm not sure what you are using the air injection for. Usually it's used to get rid of sulphur odor and for oxidizing iron. That's what we use it for.

What kind of equipment do you have?
Is your pump a submersible?
Is there a galvanized tank in the system?

joejvj

Reaction score
Do you know how much that little unit restricts your water flow from your pump?

My well has a yield of 9 gpm and I have never had a problem in this regard. Since the air injector has never been serviced I'm just wondering if these need to be cleaned periodically.

Yes- the air injector is used with an air mix tank to remove iron. My levels at the well are 1.28 mg/l (ferric) and 0.56 mg/l (ferrous) and the equipment works great. And yes, I have a submersible pump in the well.

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
That's good.

On the mix tank. Is it galvanized or fiberglas? The reason I ask is that most fiberglas tanks don't have anywhere to add an air release valve on the side like the galvanized tanks do. If you added the air pump, you would be adding much more air than that injector would do, so you would want somewhere to exhaust the excess air.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That may be a Matt-Son injector. You can replace it with a Clack or another brand but I do not like air injection, they usually don't work all that well and especially for iron.

You say you have more ferric iron than ferrous, IMO you shouldn't be using air in any form because of that. Rust builds up in the injector and coats the inside of the pipe from it to the vent tank, and if the vent or retention tank doesn't have a bottom drain, rust builds up in it and eventually gets out into the turbidity filter and ruins the mineral.

Air in any form for H2S only is good if you can get enough air but I've never sold air injection and I quit selling air pumps a number of years ago because adding air to water can cause water quality problems and bacteria growth. Since then I use an inline erosion pellet chlorinator system including a bottom drain mixing tank equivalent to a 120 gallon retention tank. It oxidizes everything and kills all types of bacteria etc. There's no moving parts because it is non mechanical. And then the turbidity filter is a backwashed special carbon but...

For your small amount of iron, I think air injection or an air pump is overkill.

Do you have a turbidity filter? If so it isn't working or you wouldn't have the 'sediment' you mention. And the vent tank is probably too small or loaded up with rust.

How about a picture of everything.

joejvj

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input. But you know, times are tough. My system may not be the best but its all I've I got and it works, and I can't spend money replacing anything right now. I was just looking for some guidance on how to clean the air injector.

Gary3750

Reaction score
The air pump is a small air compressor. It can build 100 psi and can start under a load (under pressure). It is made by Thomas and is the highest quality of the two available pumps I am aware of. The Gast pump didn't give us the service that the Thomas does.

I'm not sure what you are using the air injection for. Usually it's used to get rid of sulphur odor and for oxidizing iron. That's what we use it for.

What kind of equipment do you have?
Is your pump a submersible?
Is there a galvanized tank in the system?

Yes I have a galvanized type tank with a submersible pump. Currently have the sniffer valve and bleeder valve. I have some sulfur gas and some iron. Things are OK in the winter, but during the summer, watering the small garden and a little yard watering seems to waterlog my 80 gallon tank. I can't get my drawdown above 6 gallons even after a complete open tank drain down. After some light watering it is down to 4 gallons which of course is beating my pump up.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Thanks for all the great input. But you know, times are tough. My system may not be the best but its all I've I got and it works, and I can't spend money replacing anything right now. I was just looking for some guidance on how to clean the air injector.
I don't see where I was trying to get you to buy anything. What I said was meant to help you.

You didn't answer any of my questions so I'm not sure anyone can help you but, you previously said; We get a lot of sediment in the water from time to time.

That tells me your system isn't working as it should and you are asking about cleaning the venturi. I suspect because the system isn't working very well. So take the venturi apart and see if it needs cleaning and clean i if it does and see if there is an improvement. If it doesn't need cleaning, at least you know and then you can attempt to figure out what is wrong. There are some hints my my previous reply that can help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks