Hot water recirculator

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've been tempted to put in a hot water recirculator system. I may have narrowed it down to two: Taco D'Mand, or the Redytemp - http://www.redytemp.com

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

It appears that the concept is very much the same on both of these units. The Taco system only comes on when you ask it. If I understand it, the RedyTemp system cycles on and off as required (but comes with a built-in timer to inhibit it if you set it?).

Each has its advantages, the Taco for minimum energy (only comes on when you ask it, but you still have to wait, at least you aren't dumping water down the drain, though). The Redytemp, at the disadvantage of more power (not much in the scheme of things, though), has hot water there nearly instantly.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There are other brands, as well, which you have discovered in your research; but all are either the timed-type or the demand(remote controlled) type. You have correctly stated the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I would say that if you are in a cold area and are NOT able to access and insulate most of the hot piping, I might lean towards the demand-type just from the energy cost. A timed recirc. will have more energy cost due to heat loss.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, I live in NH and it was exreemly cold here last winter. I'm usually also the only one home. With the flow restrictor on the kitchen sink, it takes probably 2-3 minutes to get hot water, less in the shower. During the remodeling I've done over the past few years, I was able to insulate most of the pipes, but with one person, the water usually has cooled off in between uses. I'm leaning towards the RedyTemp device, since (I just found out) the timer is a standard, replaceable plug-in type - you can put a 7-day multi-program one in the outlet and cover your normal schedule, minimizing waste. The thing comes with a 2-year warranty. Any other thoughts?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks