(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom remodel plumbing issues

Hybrid View

Default Bathroom remodel plumbing issues

Hi! My boyfriend and I are in the process of remodeling our guest bathroom.
    We bought a taller vanity because I'm 6 foot and hate bending over. The problem is that the vanity plumbing hole is higher than the existing plumbing. We either have to cut out a lower hole into our vanity to make room for the plumbing or cut into the wall and move up the plumbing to adjust. Neither sounds fun! If we move the pipes up will it still drain properly and how would we go about doing that?

Also, is there a toilet brand out there that has an adjustable tank? The old one abutted the wall, and now that we plan to tile behind it there's not going to be any room allowance left.

Thanks for any advice.
    Urs

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The easiest solution would be to cut the back of the cabinet, and use a longer tailpiece on the lav drain.

Raising the drain in the wall, without seeing it, could be a "lot of work".

Some toilets have more space behind the tank then others.
    Older toilets may have needed most of the 12" to fit,

Many new toilets have more room behind.
    Some as much as an inch.

Thanks Terry! We will probaby cut out a hole in our $300 vanity! What a greenhorn mistake. We should have measured the plumbing height first before vanity shopping.
    Urs

Yep. You are gonna have to drill another hole in the vanity. You could buy a piece of tin or some nice stainless steel, cut it to cover up the hole and around the pipe to make it look like its some kind of access panel or something.

As far as I know, there is no adjustable tanks for toilets, as this would not be code to ASME or ANSI. Must be fixed. There are diagrams showing all dimensions for all the toilet makers out there. I'd measure the center of the drain to the wall and see what works from there(its called the 'rough in' length). You may have enough room to get a toilet that is 2" closer to the wall and still have a hair of clearance left from the tank to the bowl. I wouldnt chance it though.

Get an elongated bowl as well.

Where are you located?

EDIT: Terry you ninja!!

Thanks Sea, I'm in Phoenix, AZ. Luckily the vanity has a bottom drawer that only stops halfway so we hopefullly won't have to cut into to that. The only thing I'm worried about is the wood brace in the back. I hope it is only decorative/cosmetic. The wood is pretty strong and not particle board.
    Urs

Default pipes

You should just have to drill three holes in the back of the vanity for the pipes, not do a major reconstruction of the cabinet.

The cabinet is hard to describe... it has a nice empty back to it but at the bottom there is a shelf and under the shelf is a drawer. The only thing that is in the way is the part of the shelf and some of the back drawer space. Anyways, all this is moot becuase my boyfriend decided to raise the pipes. After cutting a hole in the drywall, we found the main pipe. At the end it "Y's" out. One part going to the master bath, the other going to the guest bath which we are working on. My BF think's he can use a "T" pipe after cutting out the "Y" pipe and then add some configuration of fittings to raise the drain pipe up...the hot and cold copper pipes he plans to cut and add extensions and angle them out to raise those. Plus I think we would have to raise the pluming in the master to make sure there is no problem with the pressure/flow. One more thing. What to you plumbing professiionals think about "Snake bites"????
    Thanks for your interest,
    Urs

Shark bites.

I guess if you want to DIY, go for it, but as far as anyone with a half a grain of tradesman in them, would solder all joints. Yes they are approved for this and that, but they havent been around long enough to know if there are long term(10+ years) problems with them.

Learn how to solder or call a plumber.

If you decide to learn to solder yourself, test all connections for an hour with a pressure gauge. And please have some water around so you dont set your place on fire!

If you are worried about moving lines around, your boyfriend could also solder on a 1/2" pex adapter to the end of the copper pipe and run pex out to wherever you want without any soldering(risk of fire).

There are many ways to do this, good ways and bad ways. Make sure the boyfriend reads up on drainage basics before doing anything to the drain pipes. You can cause issues such as blockages, slow draining and the worst is sewer gas coming back up in the drain(improper trap/grade).

Good luck!

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Quote Originally Posted by UrsinPhx View Post
    and then add some configuration of fittings to raise the drain pipe up...
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.