(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 49

Thread: Sometimes you just gotta make it work...

  1. #1
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default Sometimes you just gotta make it work...

    Plumb a shower drain into a floor drain that goes into a gray water system. Cutting that terracotta pipe was pretty hard. I tried using a carbide blade on my reciprocating saw with not much progress. I ended up notching the pipe with the air chisel and smoothing it out with a grinding wheel.

    (I ran water using the garden hose into the p-trap for awhile without any problems before I poured the concrete.)

    See attached pics
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  2. #2

    Default

    And this is why Chrysler is in trouble.
    Sometimes you need to retool and bring in the good machinery if you're going to compete.

    A man is only as good as his tools.

    I applaud your enthusiasm for the job.

  3. #3
    Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    *sheds a tear*

    I am sorry.. I failed you. I do pray what you done works for you many years.

  4. #4
    Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Penticton, BC
    Posts
    810

    Default

    The biggest problem you're gonna is having saturation the rock pit and clogging it up with hair over a # of years.

    Other then that I don't see why it won't work.

    You're also gonna be getting some lovely gross smells coming outta the shower drain once you dump some warm water and bacteria into that rock pit because you have no trap on your shower.


    Good work though!

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member SteveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,042

    Default

    Actually he does have a trap -

  6. #6
    Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Penticton, BC
    Posts
    810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Actually he does have a trap -
    Oh sorry my bad! It was hard to see in the picture but I looked closer and yep there it is!

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member seaofnames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    162

    Default

    I hope you have a filter system for that gray water if you are using it to water your veggie garden!!

  8. #8
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Why do you say there is no trap, didn't you see the pictures?



    Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    The biggest problem you're gonna is having saturation the rock pit and clogging it up with hair over a # of years.

    Other then that I don't see why it won't work.

    You're also gonna be getting some lovely gross smells coming outta the shower drain once you dump some warm water and bacteria into that rock pit because you have no trap on your shower.


    Good work though!

  9. #9
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I think the gray water pipes into the outlet side of the septic that runs downhill into a leach field. I do know the washer drains into this same system.

    Quote Originally Posted by seaofnames View Post
    I hope you have a filter system for that gray water if you are using it to water your veggie garden!!

  10. #10
    DIY Senior Member seaofnames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mission, BC
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jfls45 View Post
    I think the gray water pipes into the outlet side of the septic that runs downhill into a leach field. I do know the washer drains into this same system.
    Sounds better than some of the people I've read about on here. Nothing wrong with just bypassing the septic tank.

    I'd still be a tiny bit worried about all of the soap and such getting into the soil.

  11. #11
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default

    The grass over the leachfield is lush green and grows fast.


    Quote Originally Posted by seaofnames View Post
    Sounds better than some of the people I've read about on here. Nothing wrong with just bypassing the septic tank.

    I'd still be a tiny bit worried about all of the soap and such getting into the soil.

  12. #12
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default Heres a thought

    Thinking about what you just said, would you rather have pee and poop percolating down into the ground or old soapy water?

    Maybe the two offset each other...


    Quote Originally Posted by seaofnames View Post
    Sounds better than some of the people I've read about on here. Nothing wrong with just bypassing the septic tank.

    I'd still be a tiny bit worried about all of the soap and such getting into the soil.

  13. #13
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default This is my occupation...

    I think I will stick to this... The plumbing work is hard work, my hats off to you guys.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  14. #14
    Master Plumber nhmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    S. Maine
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    So that 1 1/2, unvented? trap and drain runs into what?

    IPC Appendix C - Grey Water Recycling.

    You can't just drain showers or whatever into a cesspit or for that matter on the ground. People have a nasty habit of pissing in showers.

  15. #15
    Homeowner jfls45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    I live in PA
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Deleted deleted
    Last edited by jfls45; 06-29-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •