(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help - I've lawn mowered my sewer pipe (pictures attached)

Default Please help - I've lawn mowered my sewer pipe (pictures attached)

I believe the pipe I mowed was one the builder cemented (I think that's what the purple is) into the clean out tee to bring it up to ground level. I'm not sure if it goes without saying so I'll just say it's not septic tank I'm on city.

Name:  tee.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  59.0 KBName:  tee2.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  3.3 KBName:  pipe1.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  36.7 KBName:  pipe2.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  40.5 KB

My question is this something a novice (in every sense of the word, I only have 17 months of home ownership under my belt) can fix, and if so how? Or am I in serious trouble, meaning I need to pay alot of money to a local plumber. I've already purchased a 4" pvc pipe with bell and plain ends. The bell end is too small to go around the above pictured inground opening at the tee and the plain end is too big to fit inside. I'm wondering if there's a way I can get a pipe inside the bell end of my new 4" pipe and then slightly inside the tee (don't want to block anything obviously) and completely cement both ends. Or if there's simply a better way; I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's ever done this.

I'm stressing because I want to fix this right and avoid a situation down the road where sewage floods my yard (if that can even happen). But at the same time like most everyone I'm trying to hold on to every penny I got because you just don't know if your next work day will be your last.

Any help is much appreciated!!

For now pick up a 4" test plug like the one pictured below to prevent Dirt from falling in and blocking the line...

After that dig it up and expose the line a few feet on each side of the tee that is broken then post a picture. Don't dig below the line.
    Last edited by Redwood; 07-05-2009 at 04:23 PM.

how deep is the bottom of the pipe from the ground level...Remove any small peices from the pipe and then flush your toilet, holding down the handel until the tank is empty...and see if the water rushes by / through the T...
    Last edited by Cass; 07-05-2009 at 04:35 PM.

How far from the house is this? Unless very close, it doesn't look deep enough....or dirty enough! to be sewer. Could it be landscape drainage?

It's less than a foot from the house, I live in one of these lovely Florida subdivisions where everyone's house is on top of the other. The lot is only 51' wide.

We flushed a toilet earlier in the day to confirm it was sewer, and the water rushed by.

Any reason I couldn't use the test plug pictured in Redwood's post and the product here http://yardthingsinc.com/homeowners.html as a final resolution?

I believe the tee is cracked.
    The hub is at least broken off.
    A new tee with a riser to the surface or close to it with some kind of cover is what you want.
    Chances are the builder did you a big favor by having it stick up.
    Usually landscapers do a great job of hiding them.
    make sure yours can always be found.

Redwood I'd appreciate it if you'd educate me on what the tee is for, I know it's called a cleanout tee but I'm curious what it'd be cleaning out.

If you sewer line was ever to become clogged the plumber would snake or jet the line from there.

Trust me...

You want to know where this is and be able to use it when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsg03 View Post
    Redwood I'd appreciate it if you'd educate me on what the tee is for, I know it's called a cleanout tee but I'm curious what it'd be cleaning out.
    You would be cleaning out a clogged drain. More likely a plumber with an auger/snake. That's why he said the builder did you a favor. Having an easy to access cleanout simplifies things down the road if and when you have a problem with your main clogging up.

Guess some are quicker responders :-)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If there was a clog in the line to the sewer at the street, it would provide an access point to put in a snake to clear it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Not only do you want it, it is required. Like Redwood advised, dig up a couple of feet on either side, remove the fittings, use couplers and new pipe to replace the cleanout. It is exactly what you posted as the second picture. You run a pipe up to above your landscaping (I prefer a couple of inches so you see it while you're mowing) and put a cleanout cap on it. My yard has two, one at the house and another at a turn before tying into the city main.

It may be a slightly messy job but it's relatively easy to do. And by messy, I mean digging - it's 100x cleaner than some of the stuff these guys deal with up north.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Default tee

Your problem is that you are working with two different systems. The green pipe is a lightweight pvc. Its i.d. is the same as the white pipe, which means its o.d. is smaller because of the thinner wall thickness. To connect the green pipe to the white fittings, you need adapter bushings.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Only thing not SDR in that setup is the fittings. Need right adapters like HJ is talking about.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

And all of you lot used to laugh at me when I asked about "bollards" and other types of plumbing guards to protect them from my mower...

TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP MACPLUMB 777's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Sewer pipe

Yeah but robin hood is such a sure shot he would'nt miss the target
    by hitting something else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MACPLUMB 777

JERRYMAC@TROJANWORLDWIDE.COM

35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER, HEATING, ELECTRIC, DRAINS, FIRE SPRINKLERS, WATER HEATER
    AND BOILERS SINCE JAN, 1989

281-706-1631 7 DYS A WEEK SALES AND TECH. SUPPORT
    Trojan Worldwide Web Site