Drywall on Tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Hodge

Reaction score
Hello, Thanks for providing a great source of information exchange for all of our remodeling needs! I am just about to put new green board around my bathtub area. I will be putting in a 5pc surround followning that. The bathtube that is installed in my house is slightly wider than the width of the room, perhaps an inch in total. The tub was installed then the drywall was put in right down to the level of the top of the on either end. Should I use a j bead on the drywall that will rest at the top edge of the tub. Would it be best to then use silicone on this area before installing the surround? I will obviusly be caulking the outside of the surround, but wonder if a small bead behind it might not hurt.

Thanks again!!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

If the tub were wider than the room, it would not have fit. The drywall, and I hope by that you mean some water proof material, not standard gypsum board, does go down onto the tub, concealing the tiling lip. Regardless of how you do it, the joint at the tub MUST be sealed with some sort of waterproof material.

Hodge

Reaction score
Yes i was planning on using greenboard around the tub area, priming it, and then installing the tub surround. I was just wondering is j bead is needed on the bottom edge of the drywall the is going to rest on the top of the tub edge.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the surround fit into notches in the tub? Greenboard is a joke, and, it is no longer in the national building codes. Your town may not have updated to the latest. It plain doesn't work. If it gets wet, it will fail. You don't want it anywhere it can be in constant contact with a potential wet area.

If the surround can interface with the tub directly, it may not matter. But, if the greenboard is in contact with the tub's horizontal surface, no matter what you do, you will have problems.

Hodge

Reaction score
I will use some type of cement board instead then. I will have to check to see what products are available locally. My tub is smooth across the top and just curves straight down at the outer edges. Should I use a tile flange here?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a drop-in tub you plan to use as a shower. It can work, but you should install the tiling flange. There are some generic ones, but the manufacturer may sell one specific for that tub.

Hodge

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your help. I obviously know little about bathrooms!! This is a drop in tub. We are planning on selling the house. I want to do a good job of it so that the next owner is not faced with the same problem as we are. The past owner did some really questionable work! The tub is a jet style tub. I would have to install a tile flange on it for sure. Wouold it be better to just go out and get a plain tub with a tile flange factory instralled on it and start from there? The jet tub would be a shame to waste, but if it is just going to cause more problems down the road perhaps we should get rid of it.....

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If you install the tile flange kit to the drop-in tub properly, it should function as well as a tub designed for a tiled-in situation. Careful attention to detail is critical, though.

Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks