Please help - I've lawn mowered my sewer pipe (pictures attached)

Users who are viewing this thread

jcsg03

Reaction score
I believe the pipe I mowed was one the builder cemented (I think that's what the purple is) into the clean out tee to bring it up to ground level. I'm not sure if it goes without saying so I'll just say it's not septic tank I'm on city.

tee.jpgtee2.jpgpipe1.jpgpipe2.jpg

My question is this something a novice (in every sense of the word, I only have 17 months of home ownership under my belt) can fix, and if so how? Or am I in serious trouble, meaning I need to pay alot of money to a local plumber. I've already purchased a 4" pvc pipe with bell and plain ends. The bell end is too small to go around the above pictured inground opening at the tee and the plain end is too big to fit inside. I'm wondering if there's a way I can get a pipe inside the bell end of my new 4" pipe and then slightly inside the tee (don't want to block anything obviously) and completely cement both ends. Or if there's simply a better way; I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's ever done this.

I'm stressing because I want to fix this right and avoid a situation down the road where sewage floods my yard (if that can even happen). But at the same time like most everyone I'm trying to hold on to every penny I got because you just don't know if your next work day will be your last.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
For now pick up a 4" test plug like the one pictured below to prevent Dirt from falling in and blocking the line...

115741_front200.jpg

After that dig it up and expose the line a few feet on each side of the tee that is broken then post a picture. Don't dig below the line.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
how deep is the bottom of the pipe from the ground level...Remove any small peices from the pipe and then flush your toilet, holding down the handel until the tank is empty...and see if the water rushes by / through the T...

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How far from the house is this? Unless very close, it doesn't look deep enough....or dirty enough! to be sewer. Could it be landscape drainage?

jcsg03

Reaction score
It's less than a foot from the house, I live in one of these lovely Florida subdivisions where everyone's house is on top of the other. The lot is only 51' wide.

We flushed a toilet earlier in the day to confirm it was sewer, and the water rushed by.

Any reason I couldn't use the test plug pictured in Redwood's post and the product here http://yardthingsinc.com/homeowners.html as a final resolution?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I believe the tee is cracked.
The hub is at least broken off.
A new tee with a riser to the surface or close to it with some kind of cover is what you want.
Chances are the builder did you a big favor by having it stick up.
Usually landscapers do a great job of hiding them.
make sure yours can always be found.

jcsg03

Reaction score
Redwood I'd appreciate it if you'd educate me on what the tee is for, I know it's called a cleanout tee but I'm curious what it'd be cleaning out.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you sewer line was ever to become clogged the plumber would snake or jet the line from there.

Trust me...

You want to know where this is and be able to use it when needed.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Redwood I'd appreciate it if you'd educate me on what the tee is for, I know it's called a cleanout tee but I'm curious what it'd be cleaning out.

You would be cleaning out a clogged drain. More likely a plumber with an auger/snake. That's why he said the builder did you a favor. Having an easy to access cleanout simplifies things down the road if and when you have a problem with your main clogging up.

Guess some are quicker responders :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If there was a clog in the line to the sewer at the street, it would provide an access point to put in a snake to clear it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Not only do you want it, it is required. Like Redwood advised, dig up a couple of feet on either side, remove the fittings, use couplers and new pipe to replace the cleanout. It is exactly what you posted as the second picture. You run a pipe up to above your landscaping (I prefer a couple of inches so you see it while you're mowing) and put a cleanout cap on it. My yard has two, one at the house and another at a turn before tying into the city main.

It may be a slightly messy job but it's relatively easy to do. And by messy, I mean digging - it's 100x cleaner than some of the stuff these guys deal with up north.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tee

Your problem is that you are working with two different systems. The green pipe is a lightweight pvc. Its i.d. is the same as the white pipe, which means its o.d. is smaller because of the thinner wall thickness. To connect the green pipe to the white fittings, you need adapter bushings.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And all of you lot used to laugh at me when I asked about "bollards" and other types of plumbing guards to protect them from my mower...

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sewer pipe

Yeah but robin hood is such a sure shot he would'nt miss the target
by hitting something else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sue Geary

Reaction score
Sewer Cleanout Cover after repair

I am the owner of Yard Things Inc. which provides the product you found (a sewer cleanout cover) on the referred to web site. Your situation is the exact reason for this product, the cleanout get destroyed by normal yard use.

I have just taken some new pictures of an installation in progress that was done last week done by the home owner and will post them today. Of course it goes without saying that the pipe would need to be fixed first, but while the area is open a cleanout cover would be the protection you need.

To everyone who has advised this person on this problem, I would appreciate it if you take a look. It's really a simple solution to this problem and it is detectable for future service if needed, even if grass grows over it. I've had one in my yard for several years now and if the grass grows over it I just trim it back a little.

Good luck with your repair, your not alone and you are getting some great advise.

Sue

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks