Test Shower Arm?

Users who are viewing this thread

GoDillos

Reaction score
I'm curious about how you go about testing the shower arm branch (??) before you seal up the wall. By that, I mean the pipe that goes from the shower valve to the shower head. It seems that there's no way to test without actually installing the valve in the rough in, and then removing it before you put up the wall. I'm I missing something, or is that the best way to do it?

Thanks

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Testing Shower

The shower valve SHOULD be installed before the wall. Make sure you rough it in correctly or you may have to tear it out after the wall is up, luck. :)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You probably don't want to leave the shower arm on while tiling, but you can install it, put a cap on the end, then turn on the water to check for leaks. If you install the tape and/or pipe dope properly, and get it tight, it should not leak.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

You install the valve, without the trim or handles, screw a pipe nipple with a cap into the shower connection, and then open the valve. it is not rocket science.

GoDillos

Reaction score
Thanks for help, and sorry for the confusion. I'm installing a Hansgrohe Thermobalance I where the valve is actually part of the trim and is not supposed to be installed before the wall is finished. I *thought* the "rough-in" was just a hollow piece of brass and if I turned the water on there would be nothing to stop the water from rushing out the face of the rough. It turns out the rough comes pre-installed with a flushing plug that directs the water to the shower arm for the express purpose of testing.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It turns out the rough comes pre-installed with a flushing plug that directs the water to the shower arm for the express purpose of testing.

I have only worked with a few Hans Grohe,
Yes, they have their quirks.

Delta now comes without the "guts" and supplies the cartridge with the trim.

The bad thing about that is, say you have someone living in the home, and they have remodeled "one" bathroom.

By capping the shower head and tub spout, and leaving the rough-in plug in place, the hot can cross over.
When this happens, you may have lukewarm water for the other parts of the house.

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cross flow

Your right on Terry, if the home is occupied, then you need to test, then install the cartridge from the trim set. You will need to buy the trim early in these cases.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks