insuffecient flow rate....

Users who are viewing this thread

watrax

Reaction score
During the demand peak hours (morning) at my place, the flow rate and pressure of the fixtures are very low and it causes us inconvenience during these hours but then during nightime wherein only few uses water the flow rate and pressure are okay. the distance of the farthest fixture is about 80ft fand the elevation diffierence is 6 ft from the water main. what should be done or be introduce to the water system to attain the suffecient flow rate during peak hours other then using elevated water tank? thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
First you need a pressure gauge that will record the highest pressure it records. They are like $15 and screw on a faucet tip like and outside faucet or a utility sink.

You need to see what pressure you have when no water is being used and then read the gauge when the flow is reduced. I think you are on city water so the highest pressure will be over night. The lowest at the peak demand times.

Do you have a pressure regulator valve. If so it could be bad and reducing the pressure too low.

If you need higher pressure the solution is a storage tank and booster pump.

watrax

Reaction score
First you need a pressure gauge that will record the highest pressure it records. They are like $15 and screw on a faucet tip like and outside faucet or a utility sink.

You need to see what pressure you have when no water is being used and then read the gauge when the flow is reduced. I think you are on city water so the highest pressure will be over night. The lowest at the peak demand times.

Do you have a pressure regulator valve. If so it could be bad and reducing the pressure too low.

If you need higher pressure the solution is a storage tank and booster pump.
Thanks. yes we are connected to the city water main. i dont have regulator valve. if i opt to use storage tank and booster pump. i want to know what would be the criteria or things to consider in sizing the storage tank? would it be the total demand at the house? i also wanna know how to determine the power of booster pump to be used? thanks...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
You could also measure flow rate by filling a container. 2 gpm is a trickle to me, 6 gpm is pretty good. That way you have hard numbers to compare with what's normal. And it's free.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Watrax, if you get the gauge and see what pressures you have, then i fit is low we get into why, and if the dynamic pressure is 40 psi or above, the city usually will tell you that's fine, don't be late with your water bill payment. Also, in many places the service line from the street is your responsibility and the city water company won't do anything for you.

What size/diameter line do you have and what is it, galvanized, copper or plastic?

How old is it?

Do you have a gate valve that may be broken partially closed? Or a stop valve with a loose washer maybe?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

From your description, your pump supplies the pressure to your house, so the pressure in the city mains should not have any bearing on your pressure at any time.

watrax

Reaction score
i am connected to the city water main. i made an inquiry with the city water district on what pressure is available at their water main. they told me that during peak hours its only about 10psi and off-peak it could reach to 30psi. so obviously the 10psi pressure during peak hours its not suffecient and it causes us inconvenience during these hours. if the solution to this could be storage and pressure tank, what would be the HP of booster pump i will purchase?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
A 1/2 hp 10 gpm submersible in the storage tank would be a good choice but, it depends on how many gpm your peak demand is.

I've always heard that water companies are required to provide a minimum of like 20 or 30 psi. AS we see you can't use water with their 10 psi. I would make a few phone calls and see if there is a higher minimum they are required to provide.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks