Diverter for shower output OR hand-held output but not both

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgraham

Reaction score
Help! I am working on a complete rebuild of the master bath in my townhouse and am stuck on how to get the shower plumbing roughed in right. Fortunately, I am still at the point of laying out the plumbing pieces and making sure it will work as intended, and nothing is soldered in place yet.

I took out the existing tub and am building in a generous (36x60) shower-only to replace it. So far so good.

Got a two-handle shower/tub valve (one handle for temp, one for volume) with two outlets: one for shower and one for tub. It is a Price-Pfister 808-TMYY. The tub outlet can be capped off to make it shower only. Still, so far so good.

Then my bride wanted a hand-held shower in addition to the standard shower, so we tracked down and got a matching hand-held shower thingy, a Price-Pfister 16-200Y (everything is in oil rubbed bronze). The hand-held does not have a cutoff valve, though, so I needed a diverter to go inline in the shower output line and direct the water to either the wall shower or the hand-held. All the plumbing in this area is soldered 1/2 copper.

So....next I tracked down a diverter valve, and here the problem starts. The diverter is (I think) a Pioneer model 997110. It is a stop valve (globe valve?) that seats in both in and out directions. Now that I have it my hands, I can see that it simply won't do what I need. From the on-line description, it looked like it could send water to one outlet OR the other. Instead, it directs the water either to the side only, OR both-up-and-to-the-side, OR off entirely, but NOT up only. So, in order to get full output to the shower, or full output to the hand-held, I need something else: different diverter preferably, although a fancy oil rubbed bronze simple cutoff valve for the hand-held would do.

At any rate, my bride is becoming impatient. (Did I mentioned we were married in April...and if I don't get the bath back in working order soon, we may not last until August. * I told her I could do this and now she is expecting me to make good on that promise. Sigh.)

* That part is a joke...I think.

The folks at HD and Lowe's were sympathetic but not much help otherwise. I have a couple of pointers for places to check tomorrow. Online shopping would be fine as long as I know exactly what to get, but this time I don't, and what I do find online does not seem to describe what I am looking for.

Any pointers? Either product/part number, or where to write/call?

Thanks,
David

Dgraham

Reaction score
Solved (I think): Diverter for shower output OR hand-held output but not both

I think I figured it out. The diverter will work after all, but I have to ignore the markings on it (such as "up"), turn it 90 degrees, use what used to be one side and is now the bottom as the inlet, and blank off what used to be the other side and is now the top outlet. Then the valve will divert water to either the right or left outlet, blocking the other one, which is what I need. Takes a few more turns in the piping to get the water to the shower head, but that is okay.
--
David

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
diverter

In order to keep things matched, you need the PricePfister 016-DT1 diverter trim and its matching diverter valve. I am not sure what kind of valve you have and cannot find description of it, so I am not sure if it will work the way you want it to.

Last edited:

Dgraham

Reaction score
Thanks for the part number

I'll try to track that down. The trim on this looks like a pretty close match but an exact match would be better. I have almost finished roughing in the plumbing. It would do Rube Goldberg proud. Tomorrow I should be able to cut in the water and see if it (a) doesn't leak anywhere and (b) diverts like it is supposed to.
--
David

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks