under cabinet lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Barry J

Reaction score
I'm putting in under cabinet lights (puck lights)..Just what opinions on when to mount the lights...toward the front, completely centered or toward the back. I will be running the wires up thru the cabinets.
Thanks
Barry

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I dimmed mine with junk box parts because they were too bright and because of the UV warnings about these puck lights (but LEDs = no UV).

Barry J

Reaction score
what warnings,,,cause mine is UV, also, as for the first question, where should I mount them

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
what warnings,,,cause mine is UV, also, as for the first question, where should I mount them
Someplace where you or your little kids can't see the lamp filament no matter where you/they are standing.

Supposedly the glass lens filters out the UV, but I dunno'.

I didn't have much room so I had to use these little buggers.

Also, if they want you to use 90C wire, that might be inconvenient if your house was built before 1985.

I open the packaging in the store to prevent surprises when I get home.

Last edited:

Barry J

Reaction score
Each puck has a plug to go into a dimmer, and a switch, I got mine at Lowes. The dimmer then plugs into an outlet, luckily I have an outlet already in the cabinet above my stove, so all I have to do is mount the dimmer box in that cabinet and plug it in. The wiring for each puck is a 18 gauge wire, so i went to the store and picked up two 8ft, 18 guage ext. cords, that i will splice and use as extensions to the furtherest pucks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lights

The front of the cabinet will be almost centered over the countertop, so it will give the most even lighting, and the least shadows when you are working on the countertop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks