White Teflon Tape

Is white Teflon an acceptable for use with propane?

• Why bother with tape in the first place.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The only reason for using yellow is that it is the universal color for gas systems. So who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

North Jersey

Reaction score
I noticed the propane company used white teflon tape on the regulator at the tank? Is the white stuff ok as long as you up the quantity? I've used it myself before, and I haven't had any leaks. I do understand the potential for fragments to create clogged orifices. What's the verdict? The language of the poll has a typo in it, but I can't edit at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furd

Engineer
Reaction score
IF you are careful and don't tape the first two threads then the shreds of tape are unlikely to enter the piping system. This is true no matter what medium is being piped.

However, for gas, either natural or propane, I prefer to use a Teflon paste that is certified for use with the particular gas.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I think a clogged orifice from the use of teflon tape would be neither neglect nor improper usage. It would be more along the lines of,"SH*T happens." Allowing an individual to correct the problem is the only solution.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
White tape meets the code for use with gas pipe. What do you think they used before the yellow tape came out?

I did have a building inspector gig me on using the white tape and not the home depot yellow tape. I called the plumbing inspector and had him set the building inspector straight, on the use of white tape, and the fact he (the building inspector) can not inspect plumbing since he is not a plumber.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I called the plumbing inspector and had him set the building inspector straight, on the use of white tape, and the fact he (the building inspector) can not inspect plumbing since he is not a plumber.

BTW, that only works in Illinois

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
BTW, that only works in Illinois

See I do not understand how someone that is not a plumber can inspect plumbing. A plumber has to be an apprentice and take some schooling, to get their license. Here in Illinois you have to also apply to become a plumbing inspector, which requires more schooling, and even more continued education hours to renew the inspector license.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Trust me, Ron, I know. Gawd, do I know. I asked the inspector at the job the other day if there are any counties in AZ using UPC. His response, "I don't think UPC is used anywhere in America." Doh!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
poll

You missed two options.
5. Why bother with tape in the first place.
6. The only reason for using yellow is that it is the universal color for gas systems. So who cares?

hj,
I added those two to the poll.
Terry

North Jersey

Reaction score
You missed two options.
5. Why bother with tape in the first place.
6. The only reason for using yellow is that it is the universal color for gas systems. So who cares?

"Get of the air, you big DOPE," would be the equivalent of your first answer, i.e., "quit fooling around and use pipe dope." It's actually a reference to a common phrase used by Mark Levin.

I understood that all the yellow stuff is high density, but not all white tape is high density.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tape

the density is immaterial since it is "scraped off" during the assembly and its only purpose as far as sealing is to fill any voids between the threads, which is also what joint compound does.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks