Full tub leaks downstairs

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
My wife and I just moved into a 1974 house. She has used the tub upstairs for baths (and I've taken showers) a few times with no problems, but she filled it really high this time to get a good soak. I was downstairs and thought I heard water -- and sure enough if was dripping down into the family room.

I've been reading the forum and have ideas about where the leak points could be, but where should I look first? I don't want to rip apart more than I need to.

Thanks,
Eric
ejmiller67@charter.net

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds lile a leak at the overflow plate at the back of the tub. If you remove the cover, there is a gasket on the backside of the tub. Pull that out through the hole and replace it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes the gasket for the overflow is not tight or has dried out. First place I'd look is the overflow. You can usually see at least part of it when you remove the cover. To do much else, you need an access panel. My unprofessional opinion.

Eric28805

Homeowner
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick replies. I'll take a look at the overflow. If necessary, it does look like I have an access panel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks