(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Water Distribution Pipe Sizing

Default Water Distribution Pipe Sizing

Hello all,

I'd greatly appreciate some input regarding water distribution pipe sizing. I'm installing water pipes from my meter in the basement to the 2.5 baths plus a laundry room & kitchen sink. I've been vacilating between using a 3/4" and 1" distribution pipe. Here are the stats: The distance from the street to the meter in the basement is 54'. The pipe from the street is 5/8" in diameter. From the meter to the hot water heater near the rear of the basement where the chimney is located is 34'. And the distance from the street to the furthest faucet in the system comes in at 125 feet. In the attached plans 1 block = 1 foot.

Basement:
    First Floor:
    Second Floor:

Best Regards,

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Terry; 07-02-2009 at 05:32 PM.

You will want at least 1" pipe from the water meter.

Here is a nice chart and explantion

Water Sizing Table

Default pipe

WE would use 1" to the house, in case you decide to install an irrigation system, then 3/4" for everything else, with 1/2" at the ends. But what kine of pipe are you using, because that could change our recommendations. Didn't the approving body specify the sizes when you obtained your permit?

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    WE would use 1" to the house, in case you decide to install an irrigation system, then 3/4" for everything else, with 1/2" at the ends. But what kine of pipe are you using, because that could change our recommendations. Didn't the approving body specify the sizes when you obtained your permit?
    I'm using copper pipe to repipe the house from the meter to all utilities (bathrooms, laundry, kitchen, etc.) I don't on plan on changing the piping from the street to house so that bit will remain as is at 5/8". Regarding permits, all this design work is in preparation for the permit. I've completed the DWV isometric diagram and I am working on the diagram for the piping. I will be submitting the my plans for the permit but I am looking for some guidance regarding water distribution pipe size. Thanks.

Regards,

Chris

Default pipe

5/8" pipe from the meter to the house? You've got to be kidding. If not, then no matter what size pipe you use in the house the end result is going to be completely unsatisfactory. In fact, here, they would not issue the permit until you added a properly sized service pipe to the drawing.

Default Water Distribution Pipe

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    5/8" pipe from the meter to the house? You've got to be kidding. If not, then no matter what size pipe you use in the house the end result is going to be completely unsatisfactory. In fact, here, they would not issue the permit until you added a properly sized service pipe to the drawing.
    No, I'm not kidding I have a 5/8" meter. Would a 3/4" pipe from the street suffice? Can you tell me what calculations you used to arrive at your answer that a 5/8" meter under no circumstances would suffice?

Regards,

Chris

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At my mothers place, it's still a 5/8 meter.

The original water service was a 3/4" copper line 250 feet long.
    I was not able to run an irrigation system behind the house that way.

Without changing the meter, I ran a 1-1/2" instead, and now I can run four zones on 1 acre.

Increasing pipe size does reduce friction loss.

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by christech View Post
    No, I'm not kidding I have a 5/8" meter. Would a 3/4" pipe from the street suffice? Can you tell me what calculations you used to arrive at your answer that a 5/8" meter under no circumstances would suffice?

Regards,

Chris
    A 5/8" meter is typical for a house down here - it is always piped with a 3/4" or larger to the house. Most meters are one size smaller than the service size.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida