What material to replace fascia boards with ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mckeand13

Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.project-one.us
My house is a 1958 ranch located in WI. Cold and hot weather.

I'm going to have my roof & gutters replaced and I'd like to replace all of the fascia board at the same time. there are some edges here and there that are soft/rotted, and plenty of spots that need paint. Doesn't seem to make sense to put new gutters right over questionable wood.

What's the right material? I put some white pvc trim in a bathroom recently and it seemed awesome to work with. It seems like pvc would be the perfect material for fascia boards. No rot, no paint. I've noticed that HD has it in stock at 12' lengths for the 1x6's ($30 each).

Is PVC a good choice for fascia boards? Any other materials or woods that are better in some respect?

Any specific nails to use? Stainless, large head, etc....

Thanks!

Bsperr

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my fascia and soffits with Hardie materials. Hardie trim comes in a variety of dimensions and is very durable. If you also have to replace some of your soffits due to rot, you should check out their pre-vented soffits. I would guess that pvc trim would work well, too. Either way, you would want to use stainless or galvanized (hot dipped) fasteners.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure what Aztec boards are made of, but they have proven to be durable where wood was not in my building. Hardieboard is also very durable and should hold paint well for a long time.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Azek boards are made from PVC and are similar to foam core pipe. I personally do not like working with the stuff ... way too dusty and won't hold nails or screws well. I would suggest you go to a good yard and buy preprimed, finger jointed, red cedar.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

joe schmidt

Reaction score
I'm planning to replace my fascia and soffits with Hardie materials. Hardie trim comes in a variety of dimensions and is very durable. If you also have to replace some of your soffits due to rot, you should check out their pre-vented soffits. I would guess that pvc trim would work well, too. Either way, you would want to use stainless or galvanized (hot dipped) fasteners.
I read that hardi shake may not be installed within 2 inches of a roof. Isn't fascia near a roof?

MKS

Reaction score
Keep in mind to what and how the gutters are installed. If there is a 2x behind the fascia you should be good. If not solid wood fascia maybe a good choice.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
You all get that you are responding to a thread that left off almost 7 years ago, right?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks