(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird Feed Comparison, Target Kaytee and Costco

The trick with feeding blue jays is to feed them first. I put out peanuts, I line them up on the deck railing, along with other things they like. Then, when they are done, they leave and go do whatever they do leaving the others to eat. Then, I feed the smaller birds and no one bothers them. Later comes the squirrels, I put corn out for them in their feeders along with the stuff they like, then I got this rabbit who has been coming around, so I feed him carrots and stuff, nightfall their are the deers, they get corn and apples. Sometimes a stray cat, or the neighbors. In between I feed the kids.

One time I had a pot of homemade gourmet birdie suet cooking and they were looking in it, and said, " mom, is this birdseed with blueberries?" Yeah... he said, " well, I ain't eatin it."

The finches love thisstle seed and you can get feeders that are only for thisstle...the Jays love oiled sunflower seed...as do most of the other birds...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I think I have some finches and some sparrows, and a couple Blue Jays.

They sure seem to pick through the seed.
    If I knew a bit more about it, I could put out the seed they like.
    A lot winds up on the ground.

I will try to take some pics.

I was joking with the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    I've got a few of those woodpeckers. I actually have three different kinds. One of them is Hugh.
    You name your woodpeckers? Was he named after Hugh Heffner?

Previous member

You name your woodpeckers? Was he named after Hugh Heffner?
    He would have been one of my hero's, lucky guy that he was. But it was actually supposed to mean he was large.

I have always had problems with the word hugh. How do you really spell it? My spell checker capitalized it and seemed to like it.

"Huge" , but its funnier to have a large woodpecker named Hugh.

Previous member

Is that it. Is the word spelled Huge? Man, I'm losing it. I used to be a champion speller in school, now the old brain is really starting to go.

OK, I agree, I'm naming him Hugh.

Previous member

That seems to be my problem. I thought Huge (Large) was spelled Hugh. Now after Chris corrected my spelling, I realized I have been spelling it wrong for years. I always thought my spell checker had gone mad.

I was just outside Bob, planting some tomatoes and peppers and I sat down my little basil plant for just a second and along came a bird and took it. I think it went to the same place my gas cap is at.

A tiny bunny was watching me, I was watching him, he was watching me, I was watching him, and I know who is going to win. It ain't goin be me. I heard him say, " plant more, plant more." LOL.

Previous member

Do the bunnies eat the herbs? Barb planted a bunch of herbs, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Parsley. (I think I will write a song about that) It all took off like crazy and we do have Rabbits. Maybe they just haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Do the bunnies eat the herbs? Barb planted a bunch of herbs, Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and Parsley. (I think I will write a song about that) It all took off like crazy and we do have Rabbits. Maybe they just haven't found it yet.
    I've never had a problem with rabbits and herbs. At our house, they really like legumes, like peas and beans. These will not survive at all without fencing. One of the most annoying things we've had rabbits do, is take one bite out of every strawberry as soon as the show any signs of ripening. They do most of there dirty work in the middle of the night.

The only herb problem I've had is squirrels and cats that like catnip. I'd had to protect it until it got a foot high or so. Then it could out grow the attention it got.

Previous member

What are lagumes?

Legumes are a family of plants that are able to fix and utilize nitrogen directly from the air. Well-known legumes include alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, and peanuts. These plants add nitrogen back to the soil and are often used in crop rotation with plants that can only use nitrogen from the soil.

Previous member

So that's why Farmers rotate their crops and grow things that just get mowed later.

I always wanted to be a Farmer (maybe not in this economy) but life handed me pumps instead.

Well, Bob, I learned a long time ago, to make the best of things in life, "if life gives you lemons make lemonade" with you, you can make little wells.

Previous member

That's what I need. Little Wells. I would much rather have little money trees!