Unhappy memories: 4th July

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Oh dear. It's almost the 4th July again. While you lot are running around gayly with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, picnics, concerts, baseball games, political speeches and ceremonies I will be sitting at home crying over our our legal separation when the American colonies split from Great Britain in 1776.

It was like a divorce and I feel like a lonely old man.

Come back to me USA. We can make it up.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Some parties of divorce are happier separate than they were as a whole.
Don't worry Ian, most people like the current situation...:D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I feel like a child with two divorced parents.

If you pay your backtaxes I am sure England could make amends.

I prefer the plumbing and electrical in the US though. It's so much simpler.

No ring-mains. Standalone water heaters versus combination on-demand units. Easy peezy.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Me too. I have almost finished replacing my basement windows (just some trim on the last one to do and many thanks to this forum, all the advice was excellent) before polishing them off with a few customs made blinds.

Then I'll mow the lawn.

And that for me is a days work. If I am lucky, I'll get started tomorrow.

Who would like to see some pics of the new windows?

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, Ian I would like to see your new windows, too. How did you end up fixing them, did you ever say?

By the way, at the Vet Hospital, their is a group of us women who put on funny skits. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
OK, here are the windows.

The old ones are now like this:
old.jpg

The new ones from the inside look like this. I added a PVC frame for extra stability.
inside.jpg

And on the outside, like this. The custom made window well cover helps keep the dirt off and protects from mower damage. You know I have a thing about mower damage. The burnt grass is from spilt mineral spirits, used to tidy up the polyethylene caulk.
outside.jpg

And all thanks to this forum. I got five double low-e and argon vinyl replacement slider windows for about $1000 including delivery. Quotes to get the job done by local installers were in the $3000-4000 range.

Each window took 1.5 days to fit. A day to get the old one out and fit the new and an extra half day to trim and caulk.

I value my time at $350 a day.

So 1.5*5*350=$2625 for my labor +$1000 in materials = $3625

Yep, would have been cheaper to get the pros to do it! But much less fun!

It's pricey on the East Coast! Stay away!

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
They are really nice looking Ian, you did a great job. I will hire you to do mine. lol.

It is pricey on all the coasts. :p

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Oh dear. It's almost the 4th July again. While you lot are running around gayly with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, picnics, concerts, baseball games, political speeches and ceremonies I will be sitting at home crying over our our legal separation when the American colonies split from Great Britain in 1776.

It was like a divorce and I feel like a lonely old man.

Come back to me USA. We can make it up.
I think you'd be more credible if you were Maid Marian's go-to guy.:p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks