Oil Tank Replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Massjim

Reaction score
Current oil tank, 275 gallon, located in unfinished basement with concrete floor. I live in Massachusetts.

Tank is leaking from the seal.

I plan on having it replaced.

What else should I do?

I have a copper line which is in the concrete floor.
Should I replace this...what do they replace it with copper/plastic??

Do they use the same filter??

What is the estimated cost??

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Don't bother replacing the copper line unless it's damaged or leaking.

The cost of replacing the tank often depends on how easy it is to get it in/out of the place. Last year when oil was pushing $5/gallon some folks would credit you something for the value of the oil, but I doubt that's the case this year- it's basically hazardous waste to be disposed of (for a fee, of course.)

When my neighbor was in the same situation last year he calculated the cost of a new tank vs. a natural gas retrofit burner and went with the conversion burner, the old tank went away nearly for free, and got 20-25 square feet of basement floor space back. (That's clearly not an option for everyone.) I'm not sure what the quote for installing a new tank was.

Massjim

Reaction score
Estimate

Well I got the estimate 1600
pump and filter old tank oil, cut and remove tank, install new 225 slim line tank, new filter and fittings, new overhead copper line.

Comments??

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
10 yrs ago when I lived in MA and had a leak (at the seam) my oil company sent in a crew that cleaned, fiberglassed (the whole bottom), painted the tank, and rechecked for any leaks. It was covered by the service plan. You may want to check into that unless you are looking for increased floor space or relocation of the tank. Maybe you should sign up for a service plan;)
G

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
pump and filter old tank oil, cut and remove tank, install new 225 slim line tank, new filter and fittings, new overhead copper line.

Comments??

Sounds "in the range", not a big gouge.

flamefix

Reaction score

Comments??

I fit and supply oil tanks in the UK among other things and that price even allowing for USD/GBP conversion is fair in my opinion.

A buried pipe here would be plastic coated this is particularly so in concrete as the concrete reacts with the copper. You could have the oil line pressure tested for leaks but as you have a quote for a new oil line anyway I'd go for that if I were you.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I fit and supply oil tanks in the UK among other things and that price even allowing for USD/GBP conversion is fair in my opinion.

I have never seen oil heating in England. Does it exist?

flamefix

Reaction score
I have never seen oil heating in England. Does it exist?

Sure it does :) I live in a semi rural area, we have natural gas 80% of the market, electric heating, wood fired and wood pellet heating, oil fired heating and LPG heating plus Solar and Ground source heating.

You can see what I do on my site www.flamefix.co.uk
and we have an official registration body OFTEC their site is www.oftec.org

there is some free information such as this for oil storage for consumers
http://www.oftec.org/documents/IS_control_of_pollution.pdf
http://www.oftec.org/documents/Gettoknowyouroiltank.pdf

I'm not selling anything nor financially benefiting from the above links but if they need to be deleted feel free.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks