(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: amount of water coming in

Default amount of water coming in

Hello all...
    I have a question on water amount depending on split point.
    2inch city water line comes into building, and it splits to another 2inch line(A) by "T" connection, and runs continuously to 2inch water supply line(B).
    line "A" has 20 water outlet such as sink, toilets, kichens etc..., and line "B" has 40 water outlets..., "B" water line(group) use(spend) double amount of water than line "A". But sometimes, "B" experience lack of water( pressure drop, amount of water smaller) due to water usage increase in "B" group. my question is if line "B" and "A" swap each other, then it makes any difference on water amount(pressure)? or same? my goal is to improve water shorage situation only in "B" group.
    Thanks,

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Guess I'll take a stab, what's the water pressure¿
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

How long is the line?

And I'd need to know exactly what kind of fixtures, and how many, are being served.

Then I can tell you if the line is undersized.

Also if the 2" line rises vertically I'd need to know how high it goes because you do have a pressure loss due to the height.

However... assuming the line is undersized you can correct this problem by installing a pressure tank in the system. This will help with the amount of water available and it will also help keep the pressure up.

Default line

how would you swap lines A & B? there are too many unknowns to even try to guess how to equalize the pressure

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Definitely not a topic that equates to a forum. These come around from time to time. Can't quite remember the last one but it was some months ago and on a scale with this one.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    Guess I'll take a stab, what's the water pressure¿
    40psi under line "B" group....., don't know pressure on line "A", guess same 40psi

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    How long is the line?

And I'd need to know exactly what kind of fixtures, and how many, are being served.

Then I can tell you if the line is undersized.

Also if the 2" line rises vertically I'd need to know how high it goes because you do have a pressure loss due to the height.

However... assuming the line is undersized you can correct this problem by installing a pressure tank in the system. This will help with the amount of water available and it will also help keep the pressure up.
    I am not asking about "undersized", I am asking if I change line A with Line B, any difference??

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    how would you swap lines A & B? there are too many unknowns to even try to guess how to equalize the pressure

cut the two pipes line "A" and "B", about 1' high from split point, then connect them by cross-way( connect previous A's split point(T-connection point) to line "B"'s uppper line, line "A"'s upper line to previous line "A"'s down-portion...), so that line "B" split first, then runs to line "A"

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    Definitely not a topic that equates to a forum. These come around from time to time. Can't quite remember the last one but it was some months ago and on a scale with this one.
    this is new topic and I never asked this kind question.