Pump only putting out 22lbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Pmc

Reaction score
Another day, another well question.

Our well was running fine until suddenly it will only pressurize the system to 22lbs.
It is a 1 HP submersible of unknown age.
The well is around 450' deep.
6" casing.
I can see the water level from the surface. probably 50' down.
45 gallon pressure tank.
Pump pulls 8.9 amps when running.
Runs constantly because the pressure never reaches 30 lbs to shut off the switch.
If I turn the breaker off, the pressure gauge will hold at the current level.

Any thoughts?

Pmc

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Do you have a check valve above ground or just the one in/on the pump's outlet? If you do, you may have a leak.

If not, there seems to be something wrong with the voltage, the pump or the power cable.

What pressure settings do you run the switch at to be shutting off the pump at 30 psi? And why so low?

Pmc

Reaction score
Do you have a check valve above ground or just the one in/on the pump's outlet? If you do, you may have a leak.

If not, there seems to be something wrong with the voltage, the pump or the power cable.

What pressure settings do you run the switch at to be shutting off the pump at 30 psi? And why so low?

There is a check valve above ground. Right before the pressure switch. The voltage is 220 (It's a 3 wire system) I'm sorry I meant cutting off at 50 PSI. It is a 30 - 50 Switch I replaced about 6 months ago.

Pmc

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In your case the check valve has nothing to do with it.Hole in pipe or a flapper in a Galv. tank system.Either way gunna have to pull that baby........Upper

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
There is a check valve above ground. Right before the pressure switch. The voltage is 220 (It's a 3 wire system) I'm sorry I meant cutting off at 50 PSI. It is a 30 - 50 Switch I replaced about 6 months ago.

Pmc
I'm thinking you have a leak between that check valve and the check vlave in the pump. You can't see evidence of it because the pressure is held by that check valve.

You could remove the well cap and listen for water spraying/running but you can't hear a leak under the water level. If you do this, there is 240 vac at the casing so don't light yerself up.

Either way, it looks like you pull the pump being careful it doesn't fall off the drop pipe. The leak could be a pitless o-ring.

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
I'm also thinking there may be a leak somewhere. Is there any water flow in the house. The pump is pulling an amp lower than it should if it's a Franklin motor, sometimes indicative of a blockage somewhere with no water movement. I would pressure test the line where it comes through the foundation and see if the pump will build pressure and hold on shut-off. If it doesn't hold repeat at wellhead and this will tell you if it's in the well or if it's the piping underground.

Pmc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I will check the line to the house. I don't know if it is hung with galvanized or not, and while the actual pulling the pump is doable, I don't want to drop it.

Pmc

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I also think there might be a break somewhere. I have successfully diagnosed this issue before using compressed air. To rule out the waterline, i pull the pitless, disconnect the drop pipe, plug the pitless hole and set it back in. From there i pressurize the line from inside the house using a Tee, a male adapter, a bushing with a gauge, and a bushing for a snifter to valve to charge the line with air. From there i will charge the line up to 60 psi, if it will take it, and let it sit for 5 minutes. If it stays pinned at 60, your issue is in the drop pipe and you could always hook the waterline back up to confirm a break. If it doesn't hold air pressure when you test the line going to the well, you need to start digging at the well to see if you have a bad fitting at the pitless. If not a bad fitting there, it's time for a new waterline.

sammy

www.tylerwellandpump.com

Nice idea sammy!

Speedbump

Reaction score
If your ammeter is accurate it's indicating that the pump isn't moving much if any water. If you had a leak that would hold the pump at 20 psi, the motor should be pulling max or very close to max amps. Since that number is 9.6 on a Franklin motor, I would bet that your impeller stack is either nuked for some reason or the pump isn't moving water for some other reason. I don't think the problem is a leak.

The easiest way to check this is to do like Gary said, take the Check Valve out of line up by the tank. If the pressure holds, that rules out a leak.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Many times when there is a leak, someone thinks it's a good idea to add a check valve at the tank; and it's much easier than pulling the pump or digging up the water line from the well. That hides the leak until someone notices the pump running when it shouldn't or there little water while the pump is running.

I used to plug the pitless and pressurize the water line from the well and over time found few water line leaks between the pressure tank and the well. So I quit doing it because it takes a lot of time and effort and costs the customer more money. Either remove that check valve, which you have to do to use air pressure anyway, or you can pull the pump up a few feet and look for water in the drop pipe, if there isn't any or it falls as you watch it, you have a leak in the drop pipe. That's much quicker and less money and effort. Then get rid of the extra check valve. And if you don't have a leak in the drop pipe, you're pulling the pump anyway (after doing your electrical checks).

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for all the input. I will check the line to the house. I don't know if it is hung with galvanized or not, and while the actual pulling the pump is doable, I don't want to drop it.

Pmc
If you think you'll drop it, you probably will. If you think you won't... you probably won't. Either way you're right.

But if you want to DIY, let me know and I can help you.

Pmc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I am working out the details now.

Pmc

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
PMC, I don't think you'll mind so I'm posting your PM. Doing so helps others learn.

Gary

Thanks for your input. A little background. I am mechanically inclined have access to tools, a backhoe etc.. I have built dozens of houses and generally not afraid to tackle anything. A friend of a friend is a retired driller, and I am trying to reach him for input.

What are your thoughts on pulling it myself?

Then I think you should try it yourself, especially with your experience in doing things and an old guy exdriller buddy, that probably would enjoy a beer or two to at least tell you do this'er that as he sat in the shade directing the operation.

But 450' and depending on where you are, you may have galvanized. Or sch 80 PVC and they probably will be 20'-21' lengths that you unscrew as you hold the rest from falling down the well. Your buddy may have a pipe vise that sits on the casing holding the rest as you unscrew the top piece. Or he could borrow one from a pump supply or a buddy driller for you. Otherwise you rig something to hold the pipe, and failure is not an option, so THINK ahead and get it right.

Or you could have PE (polyethylene) pipe and you pull it up and run it out or around the well all in one piece.

So talk to your buddy and see what he says. You should do all your electrical checks and make sure the leak if any is down the well and not underground to the house, before you start pulling the pump.

If your leak is in the well, and the pump's check valve, the water runs out lightening the load as you lift the stuff. If you guys do this, you should take pictures while you're doing it and post them, or email them to me and I'll resize them if needed and post them for you. That would really allow you to help other DIYers in the future.

Pmc

Reaction score
Gary - I don't mind at all. Thanks for the advice. I am hoping to hear back from Tom (the driller). I am in Middle TN and the well is about 30 years old. If I do get to the point of pulling the pump, I will do pics for sure.

Thanks again

Pmc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks