No Hot water from shower - Single handle knob

Users who are viewing this thread

Mawk

Reaction score
Hello,

In our secondary bathroom, our shower/tub has a single handle knob and when turned to HOT no hot water comes out at all and it just shuts off the water (it drips just a little bit when on full HOT, and that water is also NOT HOT). It is a condo unit and it used to work just fine and this particular shower has seen very little and infrequent use. All other faucets work perfectly fine in the condo.
What do you think the problem is and how can I fix it myself? Thank you for any and all help!

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
Its the balancing spool and yes you can replace it if you are reasonably mechanicly inclined. Part number RP19804

http://www.deltafaucet.com/parts/details/RP19804.html

delta-rp19804-blue.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a plumbing shop in your area that deals with DIYers? These guys are knowledgeable about the products and are very willing and able to show you what to do. You may occasionally find a "smock man" that can do this, but usually at a Box store you just find sales people. Actually, once the cover plate is removed, you should be able to pretty well figure out what to do next.

Mawk

Reaction score
Do you have a plumbing shop in your area that deals with DIYers? These guys are knowledgeable about the products and are very willing and able to show you what to do. You may occasionally find a "smock man" that can do this, but usually at a Box store you just find sales people. Actually, once the cover plate is removed, you should be able to pretty well figure out what to do next.

Not sure if there are any plumbing shops in my area for DIY'ers, but I could look into that. My next question is, do you have any tips on how to remove the circular plate without damaging the shower wall? It appears that the outside edge (all around) is sealed al to the shower wall with some calking or something similar. Forgive me for the cautious newbie question :).

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Not sure if there are any plumbing shops in my area for DIY'ers, but I could look into that. My next question is, do you have any tips on how to remove the circular plate without damaging the shower wall? It appears that the outside edge (all around) is sealed al to the shower wall with some calking or something similar. Forgive me for the cautious newbie question :).

Take a sharp razor knife and gently cut around the silicone at an angle so that the blade is cutting in towards the valve under the plate. This way you'll avoid damaging the surround.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You may find it very easy to turn a small job into a big one...
There is a nut that holds the cartridge in that if it is hard to remove and you twist too hard you can ruin the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks