AC blower starting capacitor

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobver

Reaction score
Can a 7.5uF, 370 VAC run capacitor on my AC blower be replacled with a 7.5uF, 440 VAC capacitor? If I do, will it cause a problem? Thanks.

geno54

Reaction score
Not a problem. You can go up in rated voltage but not down

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The voltage rating on a capacitor (similar to the insulation on a wire) is the max supported before it could arc or short out by jumping between the insulation and the working parts. So, with what you have, you are getting a better rating.

Bobver

Reaction score
The voltage rating on a capacitor (similar to the insulation on a wire) is the max supported before it could arc or short out by jumping between the insulation and the working parts. So, with what you have, you are getting a better rating.

I understand well the VDC rating of capacitors. I have just never heard the voltage rating of capacitors expressed in therms of AC voltage before. Thanks.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I understand well the VDC rating of capacitors. I have just never heard the voltage rating of capacitors expressed in therms of AC voltage before. Thanks.
AC voltage rating = "bipolar" capacitor. They have a ripple current rating because this current causes internal heating, which shortens service lifetime.

Bobver

Reaction score
AC voltage rating = "bipolar" capacitor. They have a ripple current rating because this current causes internal heating, which shortens service lifetime.

I learn something new every day. Thanks . :)