(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: AC blower starting capacitor

  1. #1

    Default AC blower starting capacitor

    Can a 7.5uF, 370 VAC run capacitor on my AC blower be replacled with a 7.5uF, 440 VAC capacitor? If I do, will it cause a problem? Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default

    Not a problem. You can go up in rated voltage but not down

  3. #3
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Ditto.
    ******

  4. #4
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,405

    Default

    The voltage rating on a capacitor (similar to the insulation on a wire) is the max supported before it could arc or short out by jumping between the insulation and the working parts. So, with what you have, you are getting a better rating.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The voltage rating on a capacitor (similar to the insulation on a wire) is the max supported before it could arc or short out by jumping between the insulation and the working parts. So, with what you have, you are getting a better rating.
    I understand well the VDC rating of capacitors. I have just never heard the voltage rating of capacitors expressed in therms of AC voltage before. Thanks.

  6. #6
    Homeowner Thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobver View Post
    I understand well the VDC rating of capacitors. I have just never heard the voltage rating of capacitors expressed in therms of AC voltage before. Thanks.
    AC voltage rating = "bipolar" capacitor. They have a ripple current rating because this current causes internal heating, which shortens service lifetime.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguy View Post
    AC voltage rating = "bipolar" capacitor. They have a ripple current rating because this current causes internal heating, which shortens service lifetime.

    I learn something new every day. Thanks .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •