Sometimes you just gotta make it work...

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Whadda thing of Beauty!
A whole lot of unknowns raised by plumbers ignored as you pressed on regardless...

The double trap issue is a very valid possibility!
Look for a shower that drains like a toilet...
Fill up then drain...
Fill up then drain...
Fill up then drain...
Fill up then drain...

If there is a double trap it should be a lot of fun to snake through if the drain ever clogs. Somewhere right about next to impossible!

I'd say post your pics here and you are in the running to win those sliders...
Click Here to enter the 2009 Pig Slop Plumbing Contest
A notable effort indeed but probably not a finalist...
Hey what the heck give it a shot...
It's never over till the fat lady sings...

If you are looking for approval for your effort from the plumbers here...
Well somethings just aren't going to happen...

You may qualify for this...

handymanseal.jpg

But then again you may not...
Standards there are not as high and sometimes code is not followed to the letter...

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
But, you guys aren't seeing the Big Picture! Look how much money he has saved by not hiring a professional plumber to do this. Heck, who needs a plumber just to bust out some concrete and run little ABS? I think you all are just worried that folks will find out how simple plumbing is!:rolleyes:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
When Glenjanie posted this I would of said

glennjanie

You three had better play nice or I will make you go in and take a nap. The question was asked inocently enough; just remember, we are talking DIY here.
Glenn

I would of replied "Yes it is a DIY forum, but doing the job yourself does not excuse you to do a hack job, and not to plumbing code." Damn I wish they lift my ban.... I would get banned all over again .. I know it.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One thing that still amazes me is when a poster comes to a site such as this, asks for advice, repeatedly and disrespectfully disregards that advice, then proudly posts their hack job for the whole world to see.

Seems to me that they might want to be a little more circumspect -

the next owner of the house might just come to this site to get some advice for his poorly draining shower and/or funky drain field, and discover the past owner's "creative plumbing."

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
the next owner of the house might just come to this site to get some advice for his poorly draining shower and/or funky drain field, and discover the past owner's "creative plumbing."

And that does happen.
I've been asked to remove old threads when they list their homes.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think I will stick to this... The plumbing work is hard work, my hats off to you guys.

attachment.php

Is that Precision Leveler supposed to impress us?

Looks kind of simple compared to some of the things I have worked on...

tornos-cnc-1.jpg

3245523004_a9df6596e0.jpg

Anyway I find plumbing to be a very gratifying well paying career choice and my advice to you is don't quit the day job. Plumbing is not your calling.

It's just sad that a DIYer forum has moderators that squash quality advice of pro's and allow garbage work to be sanctioned because the poster is just a Handyman DIYer. If they aren't going to do the job right then they shouldn't be doing it at all...

The only insults or, first insults in any of these threads on any of the forums came from JFLS45. In fact on the other forum he left a threatening visitor message for me... :eek:

Not that I care of course...

06-11-2009 01:04 PM - jfls45
dude you better back off before I post stuff about you in the forums. If you don't want to read my posts then don't click on them consider this a warning

Forums that allow this to happen are destined to be minor players forever...

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
what is that two seater? is it air force or navy trainer? Intruder?

It is an aircraft that in the first gulf war had a fully successful mission vs not fully successful mission ratio of 3.4:1 compared to the F-117's 1.2:1 ratio...

Despite being over 20 years old at the time it had just a little less than 3X the mission success of the F-117...

Most of those video clips you saw of crosshairs on a bridge, building, or, bunker vent shaft just before the explosion were from this aircraft...

They were known as Aardvarks, here is a picture of a 3 ship Aardvark flight accompanied by a Sparkvark. AKA as F-111F's and and EF-111A. I worked on Electronic Countermeasures.

DFST9207581.jpg

Construct30

Reaction score
What about paying the fine when you get caught? In PA it is only a matter of time and someone will turn you in.

Construct30

Reaction score
Where I live you don't need permits for small repairs, but dumping gray water after the septic tank will get you in big trouble. As of July 1 doing a job over $500 without the proper contract and a registration number could land you in jail in PA.

Last edited:

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Where I live you don't need permits for small repairs, but dumping gray water after the septic tank will get you in big trouble. As of July 1 doing a job over $500 without the proper contract and a registration number could land you in jail in PA.

If that includes work you do yourself on your own single family house then that's CRAZY!!!!

Up here I think you're technically supposed to pull permit for this type of work but no one enforces it what-so-ever, let alone jail time!!!!!

In our plumbing code if you're the owner of the house and it's a single family dwelling that you live in you are allowed to basically do your own work, including gas work. The reasoning is basically you're allowed to screw up your house and put your own families lives at risk but you can't do that to others. This goes for electrical, framing.... everything.

But if it's a multifamily housing unit, or rental unit, or a commercial building, etc. That all has to be done by a Journeyman ticketed plumber.

I find it quite interesting reading some of these threads and seeing the differences between our codes and yours!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If
In our plumbing code if you're the owner of the house and it's a single family dwelling that you live in you are allowed to basically do your own work, including gas work. The reasoning is basically you're allowed to screw up your house and put your own families lives at risk but you can't do that to others. This goes for electrical, framing.... everything.

Gas goes BOOM! and the water is tied into everyone elses water. There are reasons the ordinances are in place.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In Massachusetts when a homeowners goes past fixing a stem in a faucet there is a $2500 fine.

In the post above when I quoted the homeowner was talking of repairing a leaking vent stack, and sink drain , in addition to replacing a sink which in her location requires a permit.

Yet when she cites the city code requirement to pull a permit for work of this nature the moderator of the forum I linked suggests breaking the law just as he okay'd this hacked up mess of a shower drain.

Clearly it's not the best plumbing advice forum on the net...:eek:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Gas goes BOOM! and the water is tied into everyone elses water. There are reasons the ordinances are in place.

Zackly!

When a building in NYC goes boom and the buildings on 3 sides are condemned because of damage from the blast there is a problem...

When someone does plumbing that results in a cross connection that contaminates the water in the city mains there is a problem...

These happen all too often.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Zackly!

When a building in NYC goes boom and the buildings on 3 sides are condemned because of damage from the blast there is a problem...

When someone does plumbing that results in a cross connection that contaminates the water in the city mains there is a problem...

These happen all too often.

Here you can't do gas work on any other building then the single family home that you live in. Unless ofcourse you're a gas fitter and a gas contractor.

It's amazing to me you can get a $2500 for doing some of your own home repairs. I couldn't imagine lol!

Construct30

Reaction score
You can do work on you own house in PA, but it still has to pass code. Any one doing it for money must be registered, this includes any home improvement contractor, plumbers, landscapers, pavers, painters, ect. The way the law reads it can even be a felony for not getting the job done on time if the price is high enough and the person is a senior citizen. They went from having nothing a couple of years ago to going overboard. It is getting very hard to find a home improvement contractor in parts of Pennsylvania, lots of guys are quitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks