Sometimes you just gotta make it work...

Users who are viewing this thread

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Plumb a shower drain into a floor drain that goes into a gray water system. Cutting that terracotta pipe was pretty hard. I tried using a carbide blade on my reciprocating saw with not much progress. I ended up notching the pipe with the air chisel and smoothing it out with a grinding wheel.

(I ran water using the garden hose into the p-trap for awhile without any problems before I poured the concrete.)

See attached pics

Attachments

• drain 002.jpg
    drain 002.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 641
  • drain 006.jpg
    drain 006.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 738
  • drain 008.jpg
    drain 008.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 624
  • drain 011.jpg
    drain 011.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 635

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The biggest problem you're gonna is having saturation the rock pit and clogging it up with hair over a # of years.

Other then that I don't see why it won't work.

You're also gonna be getting some lovely gross smells coming outta the shower drain once you dump some warm water and bacteria into that rock pit because you have no trap on your shower.

Good work though!

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Why do you say there is no trap, didn't you see the pictures?

The biggest problem you're gonna is having saturation the rock pit and clogging it up with hair over a # of years.

Other then that I don't see why it won't work.

You're also gonna be getting some lovely gross smells coming outta the shower drain once you dump some warm water and bacteria into that rock pit because you have no trap on your shower.

Good work though!

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
I think the gray water pipes into the outlet side of the septic that runs downhill into a leach field. I do know the washer drains into this same system.

I hope you have a filter system for that gray water if you are using it to water your veggie garden!!

Seaofnames

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.boilermakers359.org
I think the gray water pipes into the outlet side of the septic that runs downhill into a leach field. I do know the washer drains into this same system.

Sounds better than some of the people I've read about on here. Nothing wrong with just bypassing the septic tank.

I'd still be a tiny bit worried about all of the soap and such getting into the soil.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
The grass over the leachfield is lush green and grows fast.

Sounds better than some of the people I've read about on here. Nothing wrong with just bypassing the septic tank.

I'd still be a tiny bit worried about all of the soap and such getting into the soil.

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
Heres a thought

Thinking about what you just said, would you rather have pee and poop percolating down into the ground or old soapy water?

Maybe the two offset each other...:cool:

jfls45

Homeowner
Reaction score
This is my occupation...

I think I will stick to this... The plumbing work is hard work, my hats off to you guys.

Attachments

• 107927-010-MPA.jpg.jpg
    107927-010-MPA.jpg.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 771

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So that 1 1/2, unvented? trap and drain runs into what?

IPC Appendix C - Grey Water Recycling.

You can't just drain showers or whatever into a cesspit or for that matter on the ground. People have a nasty habit of pissing in showers.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Actually, from his initial description, I think he has two traps, the original floor drain trap and his new shower trap, and that should cause real drainage problems. Nothing wrong with bypassing the septic tank, UNTIL the soap and hair in the water coats the inside of the leach lines and seals them PERMANENTLY. It will take a while, but it will happen. That is why they USE septic tanks to remove that before it reaches the field.

Last edited:

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I don't even know if we ever found out if that floor drain had a trap, although one would make that assumtion. But you never know.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

If it was really a floor drain, the assumption would be that it had a trap, otherwise they would have been complaining about the sewer gas odor in the area. It may be a case of a "little knowledge", i.e. knowing he needed a trap, but not knowing he could not have two traps, "was a dangerous thing". He only sipped at the Pierian spring.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks