Propane piping

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
Since there is no gas piping forum, I hope this one is OK.

I know that natural gas is normally piped with Black Iron pipe (not sure why).

Is it permissible to use soft copper tube to pipe Propane for a gas cooktop?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

Some natural gas is corrosive to copper tubing. Copper is often used for propane piping, as long as the size is correct and the proper fittings are used.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Black Iron pipe is used in natural gas and propane piping because it is readily available and does a great job.

I have never seen gas piping erroded because of the gas itself. You must have some VERY nasty gas where you are at.... There shouldn't be anything in the natural gas that is corroding copper.

Anyway on the the question...

Where I am from you are allowed to use soft copper for propane. But check with local codes and regulations because usually the copper has to be a min of type K from the 1st stage regulator to the line pressure regulator. And then probably minimum type L copper after the line pressure regulator. But again every area is different.

Each area also usually has it's own codes about what types of joints are allowed to be used and where etc etc. If you plan on "soldering" the copper for joints you should know that you'll likely have to either braze or sil-fos the joints.

You are probably allowed to use flared joints where you are from for your connections. Just make sure you use a flexible gas connector about 4' long going from the wall outlet of the gas line to the stove. So when you pull the stove out you have 4' of play on the gas line.

Good luck!

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Helmet's on boys.

Attachments

• luchalibre.jpg
    luchalibre.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 379

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
There is a definite reason (cue duct tape boy) there is not a gas piping forum. Working with gas is inhernetly dangerous and this type of work is not only best suited for a licensed, bonded and insured plumber but is well worth the peace of mind in hiring one to do the job for you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
copper

Corrode might have been too strong a word. Oxidize, which is the same thing, can occur with natural gas, and the oxidation particles can flow to the unit and plug the pilot and burner orifices.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks