Kitchen faucet arm hard to turn

Users who are viewing this thread

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
My wife complained that the arm of the Grohe kitchen faucet is hard to turn between the sinks. And indeed it seems harder to turn than it should. (Like the force needed to turn it causes the whole faucet to tip slightly to the side.) It looked pretty dirty around the faucet base, so I tried cleaning out the joints where it turns, but that had no effect. She thought this problem came up fairly suddenly, but I don't know....

The question is, how do I fix it?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The faucet arm should be removed...cleaned and inspected and maybe some O rings replaced..a coating of silicone grease applied and the whole thing reassembled...this may take care of the problem...

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
The faucet arm should be removed...cleaned and inspected and maybe some O rings replaced..a coating of silicone grease applied and the whole thing reassembled...this may take care of the problem...

If I take a close look at the faucet will it be obvious how to go about this disassembly? (This is a style with a pull out hose, if it matters.) Note also that the faucet was installed two years ago, so it's not really old.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

The first thing you have to do is disconnect and remove the hose. After that it becomes a normal process of removing the handle and then the locking ring holding the spout in place.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I would say I'm adept mechanically, but I've never taken a faucet apart like this, and I've noticed that they go to some pains to hide the fasteners that hold it together. So first step, remove the pull out hose. But what's the normal way of removing the handle? I've never noticed any screws or bolts or anything. (Could be something around the back, I suppose.)

Here's a picture of the faucet in question:

newsink1.jpg

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like there's supposed to be a screw underneath the front of the handle. I vaguely recall that there is a spring (as shown in the diagram), rather than a weight to retract the pull out hose.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF you didn't save or never got the manual, call Grohe and they'll either e-mail you the pdf or a hard copy.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I took apart the faucet last night. It turns out the screw is hidden under a plastic ring that snaps down. Anyway, I found that the pull out hose prevented me from getting the arm off. But when I tried to remove the pull out hose (from the top) it seemed to get stuck. I wasn't sure how hard to pull since I couldn't really tell what was going on inside. I lubricated the parts that were exposed, but those apparently weren't the right parts, as it's still hard to turn. Looks like it needs to be disassembled more completely.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
Think I see an S-trap...

We'd never noticed any obvious siphoning problems, but I installed an air admittance valve when I redid the sink. (Connecting a proper P-trap would have entailed ripping out the kitchen cabinets.)

Here's a picture where you can see the pipes:

sinkpipes2.jpg

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I was pretty doubtful that an AAV was tucked away in there but call me Mrs. Doubtfire. :D What is the connection to the sewer with the DW¿ Needs to be connected before a p-trap or gases could be allowed a place to escape jeopordizing the health of the occupants.

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
Here's my final report in case anybody is looking for a solution to the same problem:

I found that in order to get the hose out I had to pry the water supply lines to the side (reaching in from the top). The hose was catching on the ends of the water supply lines and even when I pulled very hard the hose would not come out.

I cleaned the body thoroughly with an acidic cleaner and applied silicone grease. It now turns much more easily (though I think not as easily as when it was new).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Kingsotall, the dishwasher is connected to the disposer...
It's running from the dishwasher under the cabinet and up...

Looks like they be okay....

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
I didn't let the spring get tangled up. It seemed fairly well behaved, actually. I did step on it once, though. And the hookup under the sink for the hose is really nice---I didn't get any water under the sink.

bmota

Reaction score
Hi Adrian,

I have the exact same faucet with the exact same problem!

The thing that confused me was that the 'difficult' rotation of the neck of the faucet seemed to come and go. It would be REALLY easy for a few days, and then get really hard after that. That lead me to think that it was the hoses underneath getting caught up as i noticed that the person who installed it didn't pay much attention to keeping things in order.

So i took the faucet apart thanks to the schematic pdf link provided above (thanks!). But i can't find out how to take apart the main body (with the faucet neck). It doesn't show in the schematic.

How did you take this section apart?

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks