(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kitche faucet arm hard to turn

Default kitche faucet arm hard to turn

My wife complained that the arm of the Grohe kitchen faucet is hard to turn between the sinks. And indeed it seems harder to turn than it should. (Like the force needed to turn it causes the whole faucet to tip slightly to the side.) It looked pretty dirty around the faucet base, so I tried cleaning out the joints where it turns, but that had no effect. She thought this problem came up fairly suddenly, but I don't know....

The question is, how do I fix it?

The faucet arm should be removed...cleaned and inspected and maybe some O rings replaced..a coating of silicone grease applied and the whole thing reassembled...this may take care of the problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    The faucet arm should be removed...cleaned and inspected and maybe some O rings replaced..a coating of silicone grease applied and the whole thing reassembled...this may take care of the problem...
    If I take a close look at the faucet will it be obvious how to go about this disassembly? (This is a style with a pull out hose, if it matters.) Note also that the faucet was installed two years ago, so it's not really old.

It depends on how mechanicly inclined you are...

Default faucet

The first thing you have to do is disconnect and remove the hose. After that it becomes a normal process of removing the handle and then the locking ring holding the spout in place.

I would say I'm adept mechanically, but I've never taken a faucet apart like this, and I've noticed that they go to some pains to hide the fasteners that hold it together. So first step, remove the pull out hose. But what's the normal way of removing the handle? I've never noticed any screws or bolts or anything. (Could be something around the back, I suppose.)

Here's a picture of the faucet in question:

Plumbing Designer FloridaOrange's Avatar

Usually you will have to remove the weight on the hose (underneath) and the hose attaches to the bottom of the valve.

This seems to be the tech manual on your Grohe, if not it should be close.
    http://www.groheamerica.com/lib/1/tpi/1120369.pdf

For what it's worth, my in-laws love my $150 Delta pull out over their $350+ Grohe.
    Matt
    Semi-professional plumbing designer
    Enjoying life in SW Florida

Default faucet

I am not familiar with that model, but there is usually a small button which snaps out to reveal an Allen screw holding the handle in place.

Thanks. Looks like there's supposed to be a screw underneath the front of the handle. I vaguely recall that there is a spring (as shown in the diagram), rather than a weight to retract the pull out hose.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

IF you didn't save or never got the manual, call Grohe and they'll either e-mail you the pdf or a hard copy.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I took apart the faucet last night. It turns out the screw is hidden under a plastic ring that snaps down. Anyway, I found that the pull out hose prevented me from getting the arm off. But when I tried to remove the pull out hose (from the top) it seemed to get stuck. I wasn't sure how hard to pull since I couldn't really tell what was going on inside. I lubricated the parts that were exposed, but those apparently weren't the right parts, as it's still hard to turn. Looks like it needs to be disassembled more completely.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

Think I see an S-trap...
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    Think I see an S-trap...
    We'd never noticed any obvious siphoning problems, but I installed an air admittance valve when I redid the sink. (Connecting a proper P-trap would have entailed ripping out the kitchen cabinets.)

Here's a picture where you can see the pipes:

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

I was pretty doubtful that an AAV was tucked away in there but call me Mrs. Doubtfire. What is the connection to the sewer with the DW┐ Needs to be connected before a p-trap or gases could be allowed a place to escape jeopordizing the health of the occupants.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by kingsotall View Post
    What is the connection to the sewer with the DW┐ Needs to be connected before a p-trap or gases could be allowed a place to escape jeopordizing the health of the occupants.
    Not sure what you're asking.