New DWV below slab

Users who are viewing this thread

ghetterly

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been reading for many months as I mentally prepare myself for my basement bathroom reno. The time has come (Canada Day) and now I'm looking for any final words of wisdom (or last rites).

My 1950's house has an existing bathroom that I'm renovating. The original setup was not done to any code or trade standard and I'm looking to improve upon that.

Hopefully you can see the picture I uploaded.

I am planning on tying into the existing drain system at point 1 using a 3" wye and a 3" 45.

3" pipe will go straight across the bathroom and the 2" washing machine line will connect with a 3x3x2" wye at point 2. The washing machine will have a dedicated 1.5" vent and 2" trap.

Point 3 will be another 3x3x2" wye for a shower. The shower will have a 2" trap and will vent through point 4.

Immediately after the shower wye I will use a reduced bushing to go from 3" to 1.5" for a vent line. Directly out of the bushing I will install a 22.5 degree elbow to get some slope on the vent pipe.

Once the shower vent is in the wall it will continue to the bathroom ceiling and connect up with the washing machine vent. Both vents will then attach to the vent for the basement toilet which goes directly into the attic.

My main question is: Is there anything wrong with this picture? Will I get bubbles from the washing machine in my shower?

Attachments

• 1312 Edward bathroom plumbing_Layout1 (2) (Small).jpg
    1312 Edward bathroom plumbing_Layout1 (2) (Small).jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 669

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dwv

And if the 3" line develops a clog from the washer's lint, HOW will you unplug it? There are many ways to install a DWV system, but without knowing wall placements or pipe depths, we cannot tell you if yours is the optimal one or not.

ghetterly

Reaction score
Good call on the clean-out. I will extend the 3" line up into the wall and change to 1.5" vent after that.

I'm not looking for an "ideal" solution, just something that will work well. Given the general lack of "you dummy" posts, I think this plan will work out fine.

Thanks for your help! If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello!

I've been reading for many months as I mentally prepare myself for my basement bathroom reno. The time has come (Canada Day) and now I'm looking for any final words of wisdom (or last rites).

My 1950's house has an existing bathroom that I'm renovating. The original setup was not done to any code or trade standard and I'm looking to improve upon that.

Hopefully you can see the picture I uploaded.

I am planning on tying into the existing drain system at point 1 using a 3" wye and a 3" 45.

3" pipe will go straight across the bathroom and the 2" washing machine line will connect with a 3x3x2" wye at point 2. The washing machine will have a dedicated 1.5" vent and 2" trap.

Point 3 will be another 3x3x2" wye for a shower. The shower will have a 2" trap and will vent through point 4.

Immediately after the shower wye I will use a reduced bushing to go from 3" to 1.5" for a vent line. Directly out of the bushing I will install a 22.5 degree elbow to get some slope on the vent pipe.

Once the shower vent is in the wall it will continue to the bathroom ceiling and connect up with the washing machine vent. Both vents will then attach to the vent for the basement toilet which goes directly into the attic.

My main question is: Is there anything wrong with this picture? Will I get bubbles from the washing machine in my shower?

Your method should work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks