Combining Zones & Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Duke76

Reaction score
I purchase a home with a 12-zone irrigation system on municipal water. When I bought it the owner said the system was all plumbed for lake water, I just need to install a pump. I chose an identical pump as my next door neighbor (same topography and lot size) and it is installed in an identical configuration. The water pressure is great but I have a few questions.

1. I found that I have sufficient pressure to run three aones at the same time. I combined the wires from three valves and wired them to one zone on the Hunter Pro-C controller. Do I risk damaging the controller or the valves by operating in this fashion ???

2. I used a 75 psi pressure relief valve (same as my neighbor). When the pump is running there is a slight flow from the prv and the pressure gauge is at about 90 psi. The maximum operating pressure for the pump is 130 psi. Is there any problem running in this configuration ??? If I need a higher psi prv can you recommend one ???

3. My neighbor's system runs at about 120 psi and his 75 psi prv is not opening. Is there an easy way to test his prv ???

Thanks to everyone for their insights.

Upper

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The controller should do it.But if you are operating above 100 psi,make sure your velocoties,pipe sizes are correct,Water hammer is not your friend...Upper

Duke76

Reaction score
The pump is a Berkeley SSHM-2, 2 horsepower. It has been up and running for about a month and I'm very happy with it so far.

The pump sits on a floating dock. I have about a 50' (maybe 75') vertical rise and about 400' horizontal run from the lake to the front yard of my home. The pump intake is 1 1/2" and the output side is 1 1/4". I'm running flexible vinyl tube (a Silverline product) from the pump to the lake shore and 1 1/4" PVC from there to the valves. 3/4" PVC from the valves to the sprinkler heads. Lots of head pressure to overcome but it does a fabulous job.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Quite possibly you will pop the fuse on the controller. Most are designed to run 2 loads... one zone plus the pump start relay. You are running 4 loads...3 zones plus the relay. Best advice, contact the controller manufacturer for answer.

garberfc

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have a 1.5HP pump and similar plumbing. If the pump dies I will strongly consider the larger motor.

garberfc

Reaction score
The pump is a Berkeley SSHM-2, 2 horsepower. It has been up and running for about a month and I'm very happy with it so far.
The pump, seen here: http://www.pumpbiz.com/shopping_product_list.asp?pcid=5768 says it's self-priming, but the bulleted item says: "Self-priming design - Once initially primed, the SSHM-2 will automatically re-prime cycle after cycle." Does that mean it a foot valve is not required? Or can it create a suction and draw water a certain amount of vertical feet??

F

Duke76

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question. I use a foot valve in my application. The owner's manual shows the installation with a foot valve. Copy this link into your browser to go to the owners manual.

http://www.starite.com/pdf/BE682(4-29-03).pdf

Before I purchased I asked questions on the Berkeley web site and also Pumpbiz. Both companies were very responsive to my questions and quick with their replies.

garberfc

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to your question. I use a foot valve in my application. The owner's manual shows the installation with a foot valve. Copy this link into your browser to go to the owners manual.

http://www.starite.com/pdf/BE682(4-29-03).pdf

Before I purchased I asked questions on the Berkeley web site and also Pumpbiz. Both companies were very responsive to my questions and quick with their replies.
Thanks again for the info. The pump still needs use a foot value and to be 'primed' just like mine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks