(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: shower handles

Default shower handles

I am replacing tub with shower stall---would like to know if there is a benefit of 3 handle shower compared to a 2 handle or 1 handle setup? I have a 3 handle now, and like it, but so many use 2 or 1 setup----during the replacement process the handles will be moved up the wall if that makes any differences)thanks for any help

The code today will require that in the remodel, you use a scald-protected type of shower, such as a single handle pressure balanced or thermostatic. A regular old 2 or 3 handle will not be allowed.

Default shower facets

I do not doubt what you say, but you can still buy 2 or 3 handles, is scalding the only draw back?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Safety, resale value, code requirements...if you want the look with two handles, you can do it, but they likely would perform different jobs: temperature control and volume control rather than just hot and cold.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by fixitup View Post
    I do not doubt what you say, but you can still buy 2 or 3 handles, is scalding the only draw back?
    Loopholes are everywhere. The antiscald feature is the code reason. But many people today prefer, and expect, a single handle operation, so as someone mentioned, you affect your resale value. Folks will look at a 2 handle shower as an old bathroom which needs to be renovated.