(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Two Valves - One Zone - Power Short

Hybrid View

Default Two Valves - One Zone - Power Short

Hi All,

I am having some problems with a sprinkler system. My system is a

Nelson 8300 Jr. - Control Box with 6 Zones

I have two valves for zone 1 in my system. One valve controls half of my heads and the other valve controls the other half of zone 1. I have the ground wire spliced/connected with the power wire from both valves, and the On/Off wire spliced/connected to the remaining wire from each valve. When they are connected this way the zone shuts off after about 2-3 minutes and the power short icon on the control box is on.

If I seperate the two valves from the brown wire, and hook the brown wire to either one of the two valves by themselves, it works fine and runs the full time.

I have attached a simple sketch of what I have.

Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by duke69111; 06-27-2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: changed wording and picture

Re-check the wires and how far to the timer?Could also try two colors for the hot and tie them in at the timer...Upper

I cut the wires back today to fresh pieces and wired them again. The run is about 40 - 50 feet or so maybe less. I have also tried the two seperate wires. I wired the brown to one value and a pink to the other and put them both on zone one at the control box and it still shorts out within 3 minutes. Should I seperate the ground into two wires as well, I can't really see the ground being the problem.

Thanks!

Does the timer put out enough power for both valves?Each valve equals a one zone.You are operating two zones at once.You could also put in one valve to handle both zones and gpm usage.Then you would have one zone..Upper

That makes sense, do you know how many volts it should put out to a valve and would I just need a volt meter to check?

Thanks for your help.

24Vac-1Amp,Put the tester to it ......Upper