dripping showerhead

Users who are viewing this thread

plumbnumb

Reaction score
Unknown manufacturer single-handle shower. I have already replaced the ball-and-stem assembly/cartridge and the seats-and-springs with generic Proflo parts for Valley/Aqualine/Sears, but the showerhead continues to drip. At a slower rate than before, but still dripping. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing yet another part? :confused:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Did the original seat have a little white plastic insert? Did you install the new parts just the way the old ones were?

plumbnumb

Reaction score
Yes it had a little white plastic piece in the spring, with a black rubber "cap" that I thought was an O ring until I pulled it out. I put everything in exactly as it was when I took out the old parts.

Could it be that the new springs (which are looser wound than the originals) might not be giving enough whatever it is they are supposed to do? I don't understand how the faucet functions. How does the water go up to the showerhead if the two holes are covered by the cartridge? Is there some other thing I'm not seeing?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
When the handle is turned on, water comes through the middle of the rubber seat, and a hole in the ball is lined up to allow passage of water.

Replace the rubber again, as generic parts can have quality problems; also try to gently stretch the spring a little. This will put a little more pressure on the rubber.

plumbnumb

Reaction score
Thanks so much, the stretching seems to have slowed the flow to one drop every 3 minutes. I will go get more of the rubber parts to try to stop it altogether.

Should I be doing anything (cleaning, replacing) to the showerhead itself?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks