No flange on the drain for toilet replacement!

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm kind of an amateur plumber and I know some of you hate that, but I'm trying to learn!

I went to install a toilet at someone's house, and when I took a look, there was just a 4" drain sitting in the floor, with no flange! As in, just the pipe itself sitting there flush with the finished floor, but no flange, nothing to bolt down to. What do I do? Any help is much appreciated! : :confused:

Also, can anyone recommend any good books that are good for learning plumbing...specifically drains and vents? Copper and gas I'm cool with, but drains and vents I'm a little hazy on.

THANK YOU!

SLB

Reaction score
If the drain pipe is ABS or PVC, I know that there is a flange that slips inside of a 4" drain. That would be the easiest to install. If the pipe is cast iron, I think there is a flange with some sort of expansion mechanism that inserts into the drain pipe. Wait for one of the experts to chime in, they'll have the specifics.

-Steve

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
thanks!

:D Thanks Steve, I'll see what the others have to say too. I figured there's something like that. I actually forget if it's ABS or iron or what. The problem is that when I go look at these jobs, I have to pretend like I'm some bigtime plumber, so I don't stare at stuff too long or the customer will wonder what the hell my story is!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

I would guess that you are more an amateur handyman than a plumber, and I wonder what your "customers" would say if they knew you were learning on their jobs? In this area plumbing without a license is a felony, and the contractor's bulletin board is full of pictures of men who are either being hunted, or arrested, for working without a license. There are many ways to install a flange, but you have to know the material, pipe size, and how the pipe is installed in the concrete to determine the best way to do it.

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks again...

I have my plumbing license. In addition to my General, and Electrical. Do you have those as well? If you would like to have the contractor's board call me and discuss my licenses, please do. Where else am I going to learn other than practicing and talking to experienced folks like the kind you?

Oh, and by the way, it's only illegal to do a job over $500 total AND to be unlicensed. This particular job is under $500, AND I'm licensed, so I hate to burst your bubble.

Last edited:

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Whoa there. No need for anyone to get unruly. :D Since you said that you were learning plumbing as you went along, I believe HJ (who probably has more plumbing experience than 95% of the posters on this board) brought up some legitimate points. I do wonder how you have a plumbing license without a firm grasp of the trade, but frankly its really not any of my concern and I dont give a rats hiney about it. :cool:

Now on with the show........

A 4X3 PVC toilet flange will glue inside a 4" pipe. I'm sure they make the same in ABS (we dont use ABS here in Cincinnati). In addition, Oatey makes a flange that slips inside 4" cast iron pipe. The seal is made by tightening 3 allen head screws thus expanding the elastomeric seal inside the pipe. One of these type of flanges should take care of the problem for you.

Good luck and happy plumbing

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

I am glad to hear you are licensed, but the next question would be, if so, why did you have to ask the question in the first place. The reason for my comment was that the majority of "learning plumbers" do not restrict themselves to $500.00 total jobs, nor do they avoid jobs, such as water heater replacement and water repiping, which require both a PERMIT, (not allowed by the handyman exemption), and a plumber's license.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We have several recommendations about types of flanges which might be available to attach to your pipe. The issue which might be a problem is can you get a flange on there and have it sit low enough to not rock the toilet. This will partly depend on the surrounding sub-floor. Is it concrete, wood, etc. Take a picture of it, and take the picture to a plumbing supply house. They know what's available and what will work for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks