Indirect Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It appears my less than 2-year old SS Ultra indirect is leaking. Considering it has both an inner and outer tank with stainless steel, I was really surprised. Only noticed it because I walked to the door in my stocking feet. Bummer. Anybody else have problems with this series? It's still under warranty, but I think I'll need to pay labor (it was installed Jan 07).

Thoughts?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I've heard recent reports that some of the stainless indirects use a polymer coating on the threads as a dielectric for galvanic isolation, and that when it gets nicked during installation the inevitable corrosion issues ensue... (could be related your problem- or not...)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, the guys came and looked around. It was hard (for me too) to determine where it was leaking from. Labor to try tightening up things and that not fixing it (it just started after nearly 2-years) was close to just replacing it with a new one, so they did. I left for vacation shortly after they did, so I'll see what things look like when I get home on Friday. There was rusty water along the bottom rim nearly all the way around. Couldn't tell whether it was coming from a nipple or from the inner tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks