(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Indirect Leak

Hybrid View

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Default Indirect Leak

It appears my less than 2-year old SS Ultra indirect is leaking. Considering it has both an inner and outer tank with stainless steel, I was really surprised. Only noticed it because I walked to the door in my stocking feet. Bummer. Anybody else have problems with this series? It's still under warranty, but I think I'll need to pay labor (it was installed Jan 07).

Thoughts?
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default tank

The first thing to determine is WHERE it is leaking, since it could be someplace where the leak can be fixed.

I've heard recent reports that some of the stainless indirects use a polymer coating on the threads as a dielectric for galvanic isolation, and that when it gets nicked during installation the inevitable corrosion issues ensue... (could be related your problem- or not...)

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Well, the guys came and looked around. It was hard (for me too) to determine where it was leaking from. Labor to try tightening up things and that not fixing it (it just started after nearly 2-years) was close to just replacing it with a new one, so they did. I left for vacation shortly after they did, so I'll see what things look like when I get home on Friday. There was rusty water along the bottom rim nearly all the way around. Couldn't tell whether it was coming from a nipple or from the inner tank.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014