Well Point Failure on Shallow Well??

Users who are viewing this thread

Saratoga Jim

Reaction score
I bought a house with a 1 1/4" well point in the basement and I decided to hook up a shallow well pump to it to water the lawn. Sounds easy right?

Background, 1920s house, 1 1/4" pipe, 15 feet deep pipe below basement floor, 6 feet of standing water, entire area is 150 deep sand to the bedrock.

I can pour water into the well and it drains very slowly.

I bought a 1/2 HP shallow well from Sears and hooked it up. I got a little flow and a lot of noise (cavitation). Then I tried running a 1 inch pex pipe held 6 inches from bottom inside the 1 1/4 to draw up the water. I got a little flow. Tried 3/4 pex next and got the same.

Now I can pour water into the well and it drains quickly.

Next I tried a pitcher pump. After priming, I pumped up 10 gallons of water and then disaster. Sand was coming up. I was pumping up fine sand. Lots of it. I removed the pitcher pump and could only push pex halfway down the well. Blocked with sand.

What do I do at this point?? Flush the sand out with a garden hose? Did the point screen collapse? Do I need to pull and replace the whole thing?

Speedbump

Reaction score
If this is an existing well, it sounds like something rotted through and this is where your sand is coming in. As screens plug up over a number of years it's harder for water to come through, making sand even harder to come through. I think I would look at installing another well point with new pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks