Can I route PEX/copper pipe through joists?

Users who are viewing this thread

lurch

Reaction score
I'm partway through replacing my old forced air furnace with baseboard and I'd also like to upgrade my 1/2" main supply with 3/4". I see that a lot of the electrical cable in my 50's home is routed through the joists - is this allowed for plumbing?

I assume not as all of the plumbing I see is hung with a gap between the top of the pipe and the joist. However some of the new lines my plumber put in for the Hot water heater are attached directly to the joist. What is the code for running plumbing lines wrt the joists? The water supply lines are copper - the baseboard are PEX.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This would likely fall under the building code. And it entirely depends on the type of floor joists you have.

If you have a standard 2x? floor joist then where I am from you can run water lines through them. The issue isn't with the water lines it's with where you drill the holes. Run the water lines through the CENTER of the joist and don't drill holes bigger then you have too.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
boring

It does refer to it, but that restriction is for notching, not holes through the joist. A properly drilled hole will cause minimum degradation of the joist strength. If holes weakened the structure, heavy equipment hauling trailers would not have multiple holes cut in their main frame channels.

lurch

Reaction score
Thanks guys - I have 2x8 joists - and the holes drilled for the NM cable looks to adhere to those guidelines.

I was not aware you could do that.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The vast majority of the strength in any beam is the top and bottom cords. Look at an engineered I-joist...the middle is thin plywood.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
It does refer to it, but that restriction is for notching, not holes through the joist. A properly drilled hole will cause minimum degradation of the joist strength. If holes weakened the structure, heavy equipment hauling trailers would not have multiple holes cut in their main frame channels.

Thanks HJ, I just looked at the IPC and I stand corrected:rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks