Toilet Flange installation

Users who are viewing this thread

FlynHokie

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install the toilet flange, and I want to make sure it is oriented correctly.

How should the two slotted holes that connect the bolts to the toilet be oriented relative to the wall? Should the center of both those holes be equidistant to the wall, the end of the holes, or the beginning of the holes?

Thanks much!

FlynHokie.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
As long as the smaller sections of the keyways are place at the rough-in from the wall, it makes no difference. If the bolts are keyed in place and will stay that way, it makes no difference if they are at the beginning or end of the slot. Adjust as you see fit.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to turn the flange so that the bolts go completely to the far end of the slots. Then I use an extra nut on the bolts to hold them tight and perpendicular to the flange. This makes for an easier time setting the toilets. I suppose it isn't absolutely critical that the bolts go that far in the slot, but I do want the bolt heads away from the key area to make sure they don' pull out.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Some plumbers, I've been told, avoid using the long slots and instead use the other keyed openings which are just wide enough for the bolt and are open on the outside of the flange.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks