Garbage disposers

Users who are viewing this thread

betsycapp

Reaction score
Does anyone have advice about these? Would use for soft garbage only, relatively light use. Which are best?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Terry said everything that needs to be said! :D
Go with his advice and have no regrets!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice about these? Would use for soft garbage only, relatively light use. Which are best?

Sounds like you are trying to make a case for buying a cheap disposer. I'd follow Terry's advice, especially if you plan to stay in your house more than a few years. Cheap disposers rust out relatively quickly, and don't grind as well.

For what it's worth, I put an Insinkerator Evolution Excel, their top of the line model, in my kitchen a few months ago and am glad I finally broke down and spent the money. It is really quiet, doesn't clog if you put potato peels in it, and should last a long time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposers

One of the major differences between disposers is the way they mount to the sink. The majority of them other than ISE use a plastic mount and they often loosen up and leak.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
One of the major differences between disposers is the way they mount to the sink. The majority of them other than ISE use a plastic mount and they often loosen up and leak.

www.pmmag.com

Look at the video at the bottom.

So easy a caveman can do it.

We are now in the design of "belt-buckling and ferno'n" our plumbing systems together because someone thought glueing a fernco to a sink is a good idea.

Last edited:

Mario

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Like Terry said; "the Insinkerator Evolution's are great"...they are the model 777's 1 h.p. modern equivalent.
The new top of the line model will auto reverse and go into hammer-drill mode when put into a bind.
A little pricey though. But worth every penny. I'd put one in my house if I had to have the best.

If you're looking for a cheap unit at a good price, Emerson sells a "badger 5" clone that looks identical to the Insinkerator 1/2 h.p.
It is said to be made on the same assembly lines and sells for about $70 wholesale.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

A typical engineer's video. Did you notice he is installing it with the sink on the countertop, UPSIDE DOWN? I would like to see him do it inside a sink cabinet, holding the disposer in place while snapping the clamp with both hands and apparently having a hard time doing it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks