(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PumpTec Help! Solid Yellow Light

Default PumpTec Help! Solid Yellow Light

I got a low yield well (.5 gallon a min). We are using a 2500 gallon storage tank. We also have a Pumptec system to protect our pump in the well.

The last several days, ive had a solid yellow light on my pumptec (underload). The funny thing is, the 2500 gallon storage tank is full. If I turn the well breaker off, I can get the pumptec to turn back on and it will flash green (pumping water) for about 2 min, then go yellow again. I can do this all day... So it is pumping water im guessing.

My question. Do you think the pump is going bad causing this problem? Or my well is going dry?

If your 25000 tank is full (as you say) and not calling for water, the pump shouldn't run, right?

So check the float valve foat switch or whatever controls the well pump to turn on and off to fill the tank. Or isn't the tank full and it is calling for more water?

If it is calling for water, then you may have no water in the well able to be pumped or a pumptec problem.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I believe it is full yes. How would you troubleshoot a pumptec problem?

I would first troubleshoot the float switch or valve. I don't know the pumptec and suspect you'll have to call a pump guy or well driller.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Are you sure that it's definitely a solid yellow light. I'm thinking that's actually an overload condition, not an underload. Easiest way to check this is to put an amp meter on the pressure switch and measure the motor's amperage while the pump is running. If it's too high the pumptec should trip out on overload. If that's the case you may have to change the motor on the pump or the whole pump itself.

The solid yellow on a Pumptec Plus is an underload indicating a possible dry well. One thing you may try is a calibration on the unit. You might have had a slight voltage change on that branch circuit and the unit may need recalibrating.
    The standard Pumptec has a sensitivity adjustment that you may try to set a bit lower.

Pumptec Plus manual:
    http://www.wwpp.us/pumptec/pumptecpl...tionmanual.pdf

Standard Pumptec:
    http://www.wwpp.us/pumptec/pumptec.shtml

One other thing; Both model pumptecs will try to restart the pump after an underload after a preset time. That is probably why your storage tank is full. The pump is pumping until the underload condition then the pumptec trips, the well then recovers enough so when the Pumptec retries the pump pumps water until the next underload is detected. You may need to shorten your pump times/intervals to fill the tank?