We inherited a cottage with a small electric water heater. I still have to check the thermostat, but I believe the element requires replacement.

I am comfortable working around household wiring, so I removed the 15 amp fuse protecting the unit, and opened the access cover. The single element is a Stillman model 140, labeled for 240V and 3000W. Our cottage does not have 240V electrical service, and so this element is connected to 120V power.

Is it acceptable to operate these 240V elements at 120V? Should I look to replace it with a 120V element?

And currently it is wired with 14 gauge wire and protected by a 15 amp fuse. Is this appropriate?