Help with Re-Installing a Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

bskepnek

Reaction score
Hi,

I am doing some floor tiling and removed my toilet. There was ceramic tile on the floor that I removed and replaced with porcelaing tile. What remained on the floor after I removed the toilet was just some gooey stuff that I thought was the old wax toilet ring. I scraped that off and was left with a hole with 2 bolts sticking out of the floor. The floor is concrete by the way. Now, I want to re-install the toilet. I put on a new wax ring and set the toilet over the bolts and the new wax ring clearly doesn't make contact with anything on the floor to create a seal. Is there some way to extend the flange such that it mates with the wax ring?

Thanks,
Bob

Plumguy

Reaction score
I install my wax rings on the flange on the floor and shape it, so it will meet the bottom of the toilet. However, sometimes 2 wax rings is necessary and do yourself a favor and install new johnni bolts.

bskepnek

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question, but what are johnn bolts. Are those the bolts that come through the toilet? They are a little shaky but I am not sure how to get them out of the concrete or how to secure new ones. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The anchor bolts either fit into a slot (and have a t-head), or have a hook on the end and fit into a notch or smaller slot. If you can get it clean enough, you could put extenders on the flange to raise it, then one wax ring should be enough. Stacking wax rings is done a lot, and works. Note, though, make sure the toilet doesn't wobble at all - once you push the toilet down onto the wax rings, if it wobbles, the wax doesn't flex back, and you might end up with an opening which can leak. Several manufacturers make waxless seals that can compensate for a low flange. I'm not a pro, but decided to use those made by Fluidmaster on a couple of toilets I installed. Part of the fixture has a funnel that would get the waste down into the pipe that was low. I did this partly because I needed to set and remove the toilet a few times as I finished several stages of the remodeling, and it was much less messy than new wax rings each time. That stuff is really sticky!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks